One of South County's newest eateries is tucked in the back of Mission Viejo's Union Market. Hummus Bowl's concept is simple enough: Have a delicious base product you could build upon. Selections range from a wild mushroom with caramelized onions to a Market Bowl with cauliflower, charred Brussels sprouts and red cabbage. Friendly and family owned, each order is crafted with a certain amount of care.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
Requesting their "Hamshuka" is a nod to shakshuka in Middle Eastern cuisine. Here, they take a simple tomato sauce and include red peppers, onions, garlic and spices before placing a soft-boiled egg on top. The slightly grainy consistency of my hummus was a yummy contrast to everything else, and made our meal extra hearty. The kitchen will even allow for more of a poached egg upon request. Scoop it up with a basket of soft pita bread, and question why nobody thought of this sooner.
Hummus Bowl is located inside Union Market Mission Viejo, at 27741 Crown Valley Pkwy, (949-625-6282).
67. The Reuben at A Market
68. Everything Cake from Slice Deli And Cakery
69. Spicy Shrimp And Eggplant from Brio Tuscan Grille
70. Crawfish Mac & Cheese from The Wharf
71. Malasadas from Dough Doughs Hawaiian Cafe
72. Salsas from Salsa Bandolera
73. Chorizo Breakfast Bagel at Spigas Bakery and Cafe
74. Whole Chicken Combo at Falafelo
75. Toothpick Lamb at Sichuan Impression
76. Hainan Chicken Rice at Baos Hog
77. Fruit- and Ice Cream-Topped Waffles at Crave
78. Garlic Shrimp Poke at Costco
79. Chimichurri Fries at Piaggo on Wheels
80. Torta Cubana at Cancun Juice
81. Adobo Bowl at Irenia
82. Garlic Noodles at Krave Asian Fusion
83. Broccolini at SeaSalt WoodFire Grill
84. Spicy Tuna Roll at Yard House
85. Amber Roll at Orange Roll and Sushi
86. Frito Chili Cheeseburger at Burger Parlor
87. Maui Sunrise at The Original Banzai Bowls
88. Meals from The Performance Kitchen
89. Pizza-Sized Quesadilla at Los Sanchez
90. Filipino Brunch at EATS Kitchen And Bar
91. Mexican Chocolate at the Pie Hole
92. Biscuits at James Republic
93. Mushroom Flatbread with Kale and Kumquat Salad at Lemonade
94. Mexican-Style Gelatins from Santa Ana's Gelatina Goddess
95. Hot Pastrami Caesar Salad at Bruxie
96. Jalapeño Pupusas at Las Cazuelas
97. Meatball Sliders at Fresh Brothers
98. Buffalo Cauliflower at Mead's Green Door Cafe
99. Raindrop Cake at Sunmerry Bakery
100. Doughrito at Surfin' Donuts