100 Favorite OC Dishes, #68: Everything Cake from Slice Deli And Cakery
How sweet it is!
Anne Marie Panoringan
I admittedly possess a tooth that's more salty than sweet. However, there are always exceptions. Like that time I gazed upon the Everything Cake at Slice. If there isn't already a mascot for cake porn, this should be it. Beautiful, multi-layered and grandiose, this dessert is quite the showstopper. Heck, even a plated wedge would turn heads in the dining room.
Their best-selling custom cake order, its origin stems from baker/co-owner Natalie Burke and pastry chef Aldo Mendiola discussing what they should do with excess cake batter after fulfilling so many orders. Before you expect exactly what you see pictured, know that the flavors are ever-changing, depending on what cakes are being baked that day. On the day we indulged, this variation included chocolate, strawberry, blueberry, chocolate red velvet swirl and marble. You may see a handful of cakes. I see multi-tasking.
Slice Deli and Cakery, 8780 Warner Ave, Suite 15, Fountain Valley, (714) 842-1049; www.slicedeliandcakery.com.
69. Spicy Shrimp And Eggplant from Brio Tuscan Grille
70. Crawfish Mac & Cheese from The Wharf
71. Malasadas from Dough Doughs Hawaiian Cafe
72. Salsas from Salsa Bandolera
73. Chorizo Breakfast Bagel at Spigas Bakery and Cafe
74. Whole Chicken Combo at Falafelo
75. Toothpick Lamb at Sichuan Impression
76. Hainan Chicken Rice at Baos Hog
77. Fruit- and Ice Cream-Topped Waffles at Crave
78. Garlic Shrimp Poke at Costco
79. Chimichurri Fries at Piaggo on Wheels
80. Torta Cubana at Cancun Juice
81. Adobo Bowl at Irenia
82. Garlic Noodles at Krave Asian Fusion
83. Broccolini at SeaSalt WoodFire Grill
84. Spicy Tuna Roll at Yard House
85. Amber Roll at Orange Roll and Sushi
86. Frito Chili Cheeseburger at Burger Parlor
87. Maui Sunrise at The Original Banzai Bowls
88. Meals from The Performance Kitchen
89. Pizza-Sized Quesadilla at Los Sanchez
90. Filipino Brunch at EATS Kitchen And Bar
91. Mexican Chocolate at the Pie Hole
92. Biscuits at James Republic
93. Mushroom Flatbread with Kale and Kumquat Salad at Lemonade
94. Mexican-Style Gelatins from Santa Ana's Gelatina Goddess
95. Hot Pastrami Caesar Salad at Bruxie
96. Jalapeño Pupusas at Las Cazuelas
97. Meatball Sliders at Fresh Brothers
98. Buffalo Cauliflower at Mead's Green Door Cafe
99. Raindrop Cake at Sunmerry Bakery
100. Doughrito at Surfin' Donuts
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Orange County dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.