92. Biscuits at James Republic
Better than those cheddar bay ones at you-know-where
Anne Marie Panoringan
Behold the beginning of our 100 Favorite Dishes of 2016 listicle! Every day through the publication of our Best Of 2016 issue (and sometimes, twice a day), we'll be bringing you our favorite dishes across Orange County, leading up to the best in the land. Enjoy!
Bread is a complex topic. There's the roll variety you get at a wedding reception (while praying to the butter gods). There's the ho-hum basket commonly found, but you still eat it because it's there. Then there are memorable ones: moist, pliable, tasty. We're talking yummy hunks of delectable carbs.
Chef Dave MacLennan's bread of choice is the biscuit. Offered as a side, you'd likely order it during breakfast hours. What you should do is request it regardless of what time it is. They are that delicious. Buttermilk and herbs push James Republic's bread game to another level, making them less 'hotel restaurant', more 'restaurant in a hotel'. Oh, and butter isn't even necessary. These do exceptionally well all on their own.
93. Mushroom Flatbread with Kale and Kumquat Salad at Lemonade
94. Mexican-Style Gelatins from Santa Ana's Gelatina Goddess
95. Hot Pastrami Caesar Salad at Bruxie
96. Jalapeño Pupusas at Las Cazuelas
97. Meatball Sliders at Fresh Brothers
98. Buffalo Cauliflower at Mead's Green Door Cafe
99. Raindrop Cake at Sunmerry Bakery
100. Doughrito at Surfin' Donuts
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Orange County dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.