“Yeah, me too.”
–Orange County Sheriff Mike Carona said in July 2007 to his onetime Assistant Sheriff Don Haidl who'd just described himself as “scared shitless” that another alleged co-conspirator, Debra V. Hoffman–Carona's chief mistress, had talked at length to FBI agents in Newport Beach. Carona, who is on trial on public corruption and bribery charges, was unaware that his words were being recorded.
(R. Scott Moxley / OC Weekly)
R. Scott Moxley’s award-winning investigative journalism has touched nerves for two decades. An angry congressman threatened to break Moxley’s knee caps. A dirty sheriff promised his critical reporting was irrelevant and then landed in prison. Corporate crooks won’t take his calls. Murderous gangsters mad-dogged him in court. The U.S. House of Representatives debated his work. Pusillanimous cops have left hostile messages using fake names. Federal prosecutors credited his stories for the arrest of a doctor who sold fake medicine to dying patients. And a frantic state legislator literally caught sleeping with lobbyists sprinted down state capital hallways to evade his questions in Sacramento. Moxley has won Journalist of the Year honors at the Los Angeles Press Club and been named Distinguished Journalist of the Year by the LA Society of Professional Journalists.
- Mike Carona Corruption Trial Quote of the Day! "He would be the fucking sheriff of Orange County. They'd be, uh, he'd be riding fat. All he had to do was be a white guy about it." --Then-Sheriff Mike Carona speaking to a confidante without knowing he's being recorded during an August 2007 meeting and bitching that George Jaramillo, his onetime best friend and second in […]
- Mike Carona Corruption Trial Quote of the Day! "Loyalty, people who'd promote Mike Carona." --Former Orange County Assistant Sheriff Don Haidl testifying today in the federal bribery trial of ex-Sheriff Mike Carona and explaining that the "primary" qualification to be named a reserve deputy had nothing to do with law enforcement skills, ethics or training. (R. Scott Moxley […]
- A Glimpse Into the Mind of Sheriff Mike Carona "So, unless there was a pinhole [camera] in your ceiling that evening, it never happened, because it never happened, Don. It never fucking happened. And, that part is why I sleep real well at night." --Then-Orange County Sheriff Mike Carona working out a story in August 2007 for Don Haidl to tell a grand jury investigating cash bribes […]
- A Simple Challenge to Sheriff Carona Orange County Sheriff Mike Carona--indicted by federal prosecutors for public corruption--claims that surreptitious wires worn by co-conspirator Don Haidl, a former assistant sheriff, prove his innocence. Indeed, the sheriff's lawyer says that Carona “is so anxious to fight these charges that we have to hold him back.” If this is […]
- Quote of the Day in the Mike Carona Corruption Trial "I'm sure it's memorable." --Sassy defense lawyer Jeffrey Rawitz on a Newport Beach cop's recollections today about Orange County Assistant Sheriff George Jaramillo wearing a "Hawaiian shirt" over his uniform while trying to block a 2002 police investigation into the videotaped gang rape of an unconscious minor during a […]
- Want to Know How the Mike Carona Corruption Trial is Going? While Jeffrey Rawitz—a high-powered Jones Day defense lawyer for indicted ex-Sheriff Mike Carona—spent the day repeatedly asking already (repeatedly) asked and answered questions of Don Haidl, the government's resilient key witness, a back-row juror I've nicknamed "Sam Drucker" (a character on the 1960s TV show Petticoat […]