In 140 characters or less, Muslims have taken to Twitter to share what Islam has taught them. For some, it's to not waste food, for others, it's to guard their chastity.
With so many Weeklings being big fans of the faith, let's open it up here: tell us oh commenters, what has Islam taught you?
- UCI's 'Artistic Beats' Takes Islamic Culture to the Club UC Irvine student Hannah Said combines her passions for helping youth, giving back to her community and her faith of Islam to put on a benefit concert called "Artistic Beats" at the university's Crystal Cove Auditorium tonight from 6-9:30 p.m. The concert line-up is an eclectic mix of spoken word poets, acoustic musicians, a West […]
- Local Sunnis and Shiites Declare New Muslim Sect: Sushi! There could be another sect in Islam if the Sunni and Shiite communities ever set aside their longstanding differences: Sushi. Get it? That was the running joke during an intrafaith dialogue held between the two factions Monday night before an audience of about 300 Muslims at the Islamic Educational Center of Orange County in Costa […]
- [UPDATED with Rick's Response!] Rick Warren to Staff: Don't Follow Assholes on Twitter See update at the end of this post.ORIGINAL POST, JUNE 20, 3:29 P.M.: We can add new meaning to the acronym NSFW: Not Safe for Warren. Apparently, Rick Warren on Tuesday emailed staff at Saddleback Church with a directive to unfollow anyone on Twitter who is anti-Christian or anti-Saddleback. "I frequently notice that often […]
- Christians vs. Muslims in Ramadan Prayer-off An unofficial prayer contest will be held during Ramadan this year. The combatants are Muslims, who will mark the holy month with prayer and fasting from sunrise to sunset from July 20 to Aug. 18, and Christians, who will ask God to stop Islamic countries from killing their brethren. ] Santa Ana-based Open […]
- Local Muslim Woman Wins Hijab Settlement With OC Sheriff's Department The American Civil Liberties Union of Southern California reached a settlement with the County of Orange yesterday allowing for Muslim women to keep their religious headscarves on while in custody. That wasn't the case back in 2006 when Lebanese Arabheimer Souhair Khatib and her husband pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor welfare […]
- 'Replace Band Names With Rape' Most WTF Twitter Trending Topic Ever? We admit we spend a little too much time on Twitter, but this morning we saw a trending topic that made us want to quit the internet like this guy is doing. Scrolling through Twitter, we clicked on "Trending" to get a sense of what the kids like today. The second most popular topic trending in the United States, sandwiched between […]