Original Post, 9:51 a.m.: “The Eddie,” as it's commonly known in surfing circles, may be going live today. The saying has long been that “the bay will call the day,” and with 30- to 40-foot faces anticipated to be crashing through Waimea Bay on the North Shore of Oahu, today may be that day.
- [UPDATED: Recovered, Back in OC] San Clemente Surfer In Critical Condition After Hold-Down While Surfing Maverick's UPDATE, JAN. 27, 2:40 P.M.: Jacob Trette is walking and talking the way he was before the frightening multiple-wave hold-down at Maverick's, a big-wave surf break near San Francisco.He was released from Stanford Medical Center yesterday, according to Surfline.com, and is at his parents' home in Capistrano Beach."I'm feeling […]
- [UPDATED: Surfer Died of Heart Attack at San Onofre] Waves, Waves and Even Bigger Waves: Massive Swell is Here and Growing UPDATE, SEPT. 7, 5:11 P.M.: According to a Orange County coroner's report, Russ Yamada died of a heart attack on Saturday afternoon, reports NBC Los Angeles. The 42-year-old Torrance resident had been surfing at a surf break called Old Man's in San Onofre State Park for over an hour when his body was discovered. Waves reached […]
- Thats a Paddling Photo by James BunoanNaked in my wetsuit (I had no idea), I walk into the water with my surf instructor Chris Barnum. Mysurfinstructor.If, 25 years ago, you would have told me that I would have a surf instructor and that I would do so with a pocket-sized telecommunications device that could not only take pictures but also play the "Girl […]
- Greg Long: Mr. Big Wave San Clemente big-wave rider Greg Long only really began to worry when the second towering wall of water crashed over his head just as he was about to reach the surface. It was Dec. 21, 2012, and Long and several other big-wave surfers were riding giants at Cortes Bank, about 100 miles off the coast of San Diego. Just moments […]
- [BREAKING: Heart Attack and Drugs Caused Irons' Death] Andy Irons' Widow Requests Delayed Release Of Autopsy Report UPDATE, JUNE 8, 10:43 P.M.: Reports are surfacing of initial indications from the Andy Irons autopsy report. According to the New York Times, the report found that Irons passed away in the Dallas hotel room from a combination of a heart attack and the drugs in his system.However, in a press release by the Irons family, they […]
- Brett Simpson, HB Surfer, Tames Terrifying Tahitian Wave, Teahupoo, and Advances to Quarterfinals, Saving Season The 2011 season of surfing started out exactly how Brett Simpson had hoped it would. A couple solid results at the first two events on the Association of Surfing Professionals (ASP) World Tour in Australia had the Huntington Beach local pumped. In just his sophomore season on the "Dream Tour," Simpson was proving that he belonged.Then […]