Through the magic of YouTube, you, yes, you can come along as the OC Weekly travels to exotic Long Beach to film hipsters in their natural habitat. You will ooh and ahh as local band Thinking Aloud serenades you into a stupor.
- VIDEO: An Inside Look at the Furries in Their Natural Habitat! The furry subculture has a certain connotation in popular culture for their, ahem, mating habits. But not much beyond this small facet of this vast culture is widely known. We here at the Weekly enlisted the help of the world's leading television naturalist, Figgy Dobbs, to enlighten us beyond the Bloodhound Gang level of knowledge […]
- Albert's Favorite Things: OC Weekly's Music Editor Discusses How He Wasted His Life This Year A Few of Albert’s Favorite ThingsThe Weekly’s music editor discusses how he wasted his life this yearI’ve always been skeptical of “best of” lists, especially for something as varied and subjective as music. Who am I to say what’s “best” of anything? I have Fergie’s cover of “Barracuda” on my iPhone. But I do know what I like, at least, […]
- SUNDAY: Jail Weddings, Death Hymn Number 9, Gestapo Khazi and Big Whup at Continental Room It's always interesting to see the maximum capacity of the Continental Room's cozy stage put to the test by some ridiculously large band. We think LA's 10-piece doo-wop/garage rock outfit Jail Weddings will probably need a little extra room on the dance floor to give us the full splendor of their rowdy live show. This week, […]
- Watch: Local Natives at Coachella It's been less than 72 hours since we left Indio, and already nostalgia's creeping in. Luckily, there's YouTube with which to relive the highlights. One of those highlights: Orange County's own (well, kinda) Local Natives. After the jump: Watch them close their set with "Sun Hands." See all those clapping kids? Not a […]
- How 'The Cypher Effect' Has Changed the Local Underground Hip-Hop Scene In his dedication to the culture, Jorge Soria had been involved for many years on the local Los Angeles scene helping hip-hop artists by doing promotions, putting shows together and recording music all before taking a break. He returned last year offering his skills in music video production when another idea came along. […]
- Seven Tips To Get Your Band Booked So, you've got yourself a nice little band together, huh? Finally, you've assembled the right group of guys (or gals) and you're ready to make your mark on the local music scene. No more being forced to endure these overrated local acts at every event. Now you are going to show these people some fresh shit and everyone in […]