Sound Spectrum in Laguna Beach is a venerable record store with an
incredible reggae selection and albums from local artists. The store
opened in the late 1960s and remains a small time capsule of Laguna from back then. The shop has some sweet finds, like original psychedelic calendars
and gifts. Owner Jim Otto and his staff are hardcore music enthusiasts
always ready to point you toward undiscovered gems.
1) Sade, Soldier of Love (Sony)
2) Jimi Hendrix, Valleys of Neptune (Legacy)
3) Peter Gabriel, Scratch My Back (Real World)
4) Rogue Wave, Permalight (Brushfire)
5) The XX, XX (Young Turks)
6) Johnny Cash, American VI: Ain't No Grave (Lost Highway)
7) Broken Bells, Broken Bells (Columbia)
8) Gorillaz, Broken Beach (Virgin)
9) Yeasayer, Odd Blood (Secretley Canadian)
10) OK Go, Of The Blue Colour Of The Sky (Capitol)
STAFF PICK: Guadi & Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, Dub Qawwali: “Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan was the master of Qawwali chant, a Middle East holy chant. He passed away a few years ago, and these are old, traditional chants that were turned into a dub groove, with a lot of bass and fusion. This album is very hypnotic and trance-like. He has an amazing vocal range.” –Jim Otto.