Behold the beginning of our annual 100 Favorite Dishes countdown! Every day until the publication of our fantabulous Best Of Issue, we'll list our favorite meals this year in descending order. Enjoy, pass it on, and tune in daily!
By Courtney Hamilton
Thai curries in their red, yellow, and green varietals are a dime a dozen, but how often do you encounter the vibrant orange of a pumpkin curry? Creamier and sweeter than its colorful counterparts, the pumpkin curry at Bhan Baitong is familiar, but new.
Wavy-cut zucchini, red bell pepper slices, and your choice of protein dot the sea of orange curry, but the copious chunks of pumpkin are the stars of the dish. The soft chunks thankfully maintain their integrity; any further cooking would turn them to mush. To contrast the richness, shreds of basil provide a distinct, herby flavor. Ordered at medium spice level, the subtle heat plays well with the sweetness of the pumpkin. Any hotter than that, and you are on your own, spice fiends.
Don't expect to finish the dish in one sitting. When coupled with ultra-filling rice, this dish is as heavy as a winter pea-coat.
90. Poke at Costco Tustin II
91. Pambazo at Tacos Radioactivos
92. Beef Pho at Pho Crystal Noodle House
93. Breakfast Burrito from Cafe Calacas
94. Koobideh Plate from Grill Cafe
95. Tacos de Cecina from Alebrije's
/ching_chinese_express_jajangmyeong.php> 96. Jajangmyeong from Ching Chinese Express
97. Breakfast Sausage from Da-Le Ranch
98. Any Special Dinner by Old Vine Cafe's Mark McDonald
99. Tres Amigos Burrito from Piaggio on Wheels
100. Bacon-Wrapped Dates from Lola Gaspar