Pausing to allow for blasphemous screams, we learned of such atypical filling from the sister of the guy who imagined it. Giving some credit where it's due: Sean in the Asylum kitchen is partly responsible for mass quantities of prep work towards this creation.
Previously a limited-time special, the falafel taco became a permanent fixture in May. This new addition pushes their menu's list of selections into double digits. Our non-traditional entree's foundation is a naan tortilla.
Once crisped up, it provides a sturdy shell for the supporting cast of ingredients. A crunchy pair of flattened falafel pucks tuck themselves into place. The sting of tzatziki radiates heat, reaching into our taste buds. Chilly cucumber, tabbouleh and dates aren't enough to extinguish that slow burn, clearing up sinuses we didn't know existed. However, it did allow us to choose from their selection of crafty brews for solace.
Tasty, messy goodness for five bucks (four during happy hour) is considered highway robbery to many, yet Taco Asylum manages to thrive on The Camp's trendy clientele as a baseline for success. Those glutton for additional punishment can also procure one of Greg Daniels' hot sauces, so you can continue the torture at home.
The list so far:
89. Wagon-Wheel Bread at THE RANCH Restaurant
90. Toothpick Tacos at Mexico Supermarket
91. Hoppin' John at Memphis at the Santora
92. Free Beans and Chips at Taqueria Zamora
93. Pig in a Blanket Waffle with Gringo Bandito at Cafe Calacas
94. “Pork Hash” at Huong Giang
95. Sweet Chili Chicken Quesadilla At Kogi
96. Licuados at Mil Jugos
97. Hawaiian Ahi Poke at California Fish Grill
98. Takoyaki at Takoyaki Tanota
99. Fiesta Noodles at Jollibee
100. Chilaquiles Verdes Con Huevos Estrellados at La Tablita California
A contributing writer for OC Weekly, Anne Marie freelances for multiple online and print publications, and guest judges for culinary competitions. A Bay Area transplant, she graduated with a degree in Hospitality Management from Cal Poly Pomona. Find her on Instagram as brekkiefan.