“Mike Carona would get the Orange County deputies and other Orange County employees on board and work all the other agencies.”
–Ex-Assistant Sheriff Don Haidl testifying today about the role Carona, the indicted ex-sheriff, wanted to play in an unsuccessful scheme to get government employees in California to use a health care benefit through a company that would secretly kickback fees to the sheriff.
(R. Scott Moxley / OC Weekly)
R. Scott Moxley’s award-winning investigative journalism has touched nerves for two decades. An angry congressman threatened to break Moxley’s knee caps. A dirty sheriff promised his critical reporting was irrelevant and then landed in prison. Corporate crooks won’t take his calls. Murderous gangsters mad-dogged him in court. The U.S. House of Representatives debated his work. Pusillanimous cops have left hostile messages using fake names. Federal prosecutors credited his stories for the arrest of a doctor who sold fake medicine to dying patients. And a frantic state legislator literally caught sleeping with lobbyists sprinted down state capital hallways to evade his questions in Sacramento. Moxley has won Journalist of the Year honors at the Los Angeles Press Club and been named Distinguished Journalist of the Year by the LA Society of Professional Journalists.
- Mike Carona Corruption Trial Quote of the Day! "Loyalty, people who'd promote Mike Carona." --Former Orange County Assistant Sheriff Don Haidl testifying today in the federal bribery trial of ex-Sheriff Mike Carona and explaining that the "primary" qualification to be named a reserve deputy had nothing to do with law enforcement skills, ethics or training. (R. Scott Moxley […]
- Carona Corruption Trial Quote Of The Day "A 'hubcap deal' was in regards to [then Sheriff Mike Carona's appointed assistant sheriff and best friend] George Jaramillo. A standing joke going way, way back [to 1998] while I was trying to control Jaramillo and Carona. George could be told that he would get a new car tomorrow and he'd steal it's hubcaps today. […]
- Wednesday's Headlines N Surprises: Exclusive Carona Wiretap Transcript! Carona Should Resign? Absolutely not. There is no telling which clown would takeover from the cesspool that contains Carona’s upper management. Besides, as an investigative journalist, I’d mourn the loss of a character like Mike Carona sitting atop the sheriff’s department. Sure, he’s dirty. Yes, yes, he routinely tries to use the […]
- If You're Going To Be A Crook, It's Nice To Be Polite, No? "He thanked me very much." --Newport Beach businessman Don Haidl in testimony today about indicted Orange County Sheriff Mike Carona's reaction to 48 secret monthly $1,000 cash bribes that won the untrained Haidl full California police powers as assistant sheriff of the nation's fifth largest sheriff's agency. (R. Scott […]
- But Mike Carona Cried on Robert Schuller's Hour of Power. . . “Cocksucker . . . He can suck my dick . . . Bob McDonell’s a lying cocksucker. Uh, most of what he’s done is illegal and my guess is that at some point in time, um, he’ll either get the shit sued out of him or he’s gonna get indicted on something, so you can tell him I said that.” --In July 2007, before his FBI indictment on corruption […]
- Mike Carona Corruption Trial Quote of the Day! "Unless they can figure out the conspiracy." --Then-Orange County Sheriff Mike Carona in a secretly recorded August 2007 conversation with multimillionaire Don Haidl on ways the FBI might be able to extend the criminal statute of limitations on him accepting bribes from five years to nine. (R. Scott Moxley / OC Weekly)