“He looks up in the sky and says, 'From here on out we've got to be real careful and be concerned about [FBI] surveillance.'”
–Ex-Assistant Sheriff Don Haidl testifying today about Mike Carona's 2002 private reaction to speculation in the Orange County Sheriff's Department that federal agents had begun a corruption investigation into their activities. Carona now says he's innocent of accepting hundreds of thousands of dollars in bribes from Haidl.
(R. Scott Moxley / OC Weekly)
R. Scott Moxley’s award-winning investigative journalism has touched nerves for two decades. An angry congressman threatened to break Moxley’s knee caps. A dirty sheriff promised his critical reporting was irrelevant and then landed in prison. Corporate crooks won’t take his calls. Murderous gangsters mad-dogged him in court. The U.S. House of Representatives debated his work. Pusillanimous cops have left hostile messages using fake names. Federal prosecutors credited his stories for the arrest of a doctor who sold fake medicine to dying patients. And a frantic state legislator literally caught sleeping with lobbyists sprinted down state capital hallways to evade his questions in Sacramento. Moxley has won Journalist of the Year honors at the Los Angeles Press Club and been named Distinguished Journalist of the Year by the LA Society of Professional Journalists.
- It's Time for Scandal-Scarred Sheriff Sandra Hutchens to Go Campaigning to become the sheriff of Orange County in 1998, Mike Carona overcame résumé shortcomings from a glorified bailiff's job by presenting himself as a law-enforcement reformer with squeaky-clean instincts and an appreciation of investigative journalism. Carona cold-called OC Weekly a […]
- 6 Observations about Ex-Sheriff Mike Carona's corruption trial 1. If it's his decision to make, indicted ex-Orange County Sheriff Mike Carona, who is a superbly confident man with rare charisma, will testify in his public corruption trial. 2. Although the FBI and IRS appear to have nailed Debra V. Hoffman, Carona's top mistress, on bankruptcy fraud related charges, the case against her […]
- Sheriff Mike Carona Corruption Trial Quote of the Day! "I like his values system."--Defense witness Thomas Banks, a volunteer pilot in the Orange County Sheriff's Aero Squadron, on why he'd contributed to Sheriff Mike Carona's campaign and offered him a paid board position at his company, Aperture Health of Mission Viejo. Last year, FBI agents arrested OC's top cop--a […]
- Ex-Assistant Sheriff George Jaramillo Spotted at Hooters? It's safe to say that Orange County wasn't the same once George Jaramillo became second in command at the sheriff's department in 1999 and it certainly became more boring after Jaramillo was sent to federal prison a decade later for public corruption.The 51-year-old Jaramillo is a quick minded, talented fellow who dreamed […]
- Mike Carona's Dirty Vegas Strip Club Pal Whines about Prison Punishment I was reminded this morning of how far Orange County law enforcement has advanced since the arrest and imprisonment of corrupt Sheriff Mike Carona, the duplicitous character who once dominated local politics.Sandra Hutchens now heads California's second largest sheriff's department and has polished the agency's reputation […]
- The Accidental Humor of Mike Carona Corruption Lawyer Brian A. Sun Thursday's Mike Carona corruption trial pitted government witness Joe Cavallo, a lawyer who became infamous for his energetic defense of three gang rapists, and Brian A. Sun, a Jones Day lawyer representing indicted ex-Sheriff Mike Carona, a long-time Cavallo pal. How effective was Sun, who has a national reputation after […]