This just in from New York's Le Bernadin restaurant, via celebrity chef Eric Ripert's Twitter feed:
It's a big move from a high-profile chef that might prod others into their own ways of helping victims in Japan. Know of others doing their part? Let us know in comments!
- [UPDATE: National Tsunami Week] Tsunami Watch OC: Crowds Gathering to Catch Glimpse of Tsunami, But Not Much to See UPDATE, MARCH 16, 5:32 P.M.: To the people of Japan and even (to a lesser extent) the seafaring folk in Santa Cruz, the Weekly sends its best regards for a full recovery. The devastation that has rocked and continues to rock Japan is unlike anything we ever hope to see again in a lifetime. They need a lot of help, and it is on all of […]
- Haven Gastropub's Fund-raiser for Japan On Monday, March 28, Haven Gastropub will host a fund-raising event and contribute 100 percent of profits to the survivors of the Japanese earthquake disaster.Employees are donating their time and all of their gratuities from 11 a.m to 2 a.m. Last year, Haven customers raised nearly $11,000 in a similar fund-raiser for the Haitian […]
- First Taste: Izakaya Ku Opens in Fountain Valley After months of anticipation and delays, Fountain Valley's Izakaya Ku held its grand opening on May 1. The new restaurant takes its name from the kanji character for "eat," and sets up shop along a short stretch of Brookhurst Street I'm naming Izakaya-Dōri, the street of Japanese pubs. They're nestling into a […]
- House of Shabu Shabu in Irvine Reopens After Car Crash In July, a car crashed into Irvine's House of Shabu Shabu, throwing the restaurant's future into question. Repair work appeared stalled for months behind an obscuring green fence that displayed a work-stoppage notice from the city's building inspectors.Then as suddenly as the fence appeared, it was gone, and yesterday, […]
- A Taste of Fall Event Features Sustainable Menu This Friday, 11/11/11 from 7 to 11 p.m., PositivePlate.org presents a special event featuring sustainable dishes prepared by some of our top local chefs. Haven Gastropub, Avanti Cafe, Sol Cocina, Taco Asyum, Sage, Duke's, Xanh Bistro, and Haute Cakes are those expected to serve signature small plates throughout the evening […]
- Izakaya Ku Coming to Fountain Valley Watch out, Shin Sen Gumi and Kappo Honda! Another Fountain Valley izakaya is opening just down the street at the end of the month. Izakaya Ku takes over the good juju of a space that housed the long-lived Funashin sushi restaurant since 1989; Funashin's owners retired in August.Construction is still under way, and menus weren't […]