You read the title right. Don't worry; I'm excited, too.
Mac and cheese pizza is a thing, and it is glorious.
Excuse me while I wipe the drool from my keyboard.
Mac and cheese pizza is real life. A more perfect food mashup doesn't exist (Sorry, chocolate chip cookied-stuffed cinnamon rolls.). Every week, I'm making a new mashup, but after this, I don't know if anything can compare. It's the mic drop combination of all food hybrids. Plus, carbs on carbs on carbs on cheese is kind of a soul fulfilling meal on its own. Next time I'm scared, I will think back to this pizza and will be transported into my happy place.
Make this magical pie tonight. You can thank me later:
Ingredients for crust:
• 1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
• 1 tsp white sugar
• 1 cup warm water
• 2 ½ cups bread flour
• 2 Tbsp olive oil
• 1 tsp salt
• 1 egg
• 1 Tbsp of water
Directions for crust:
1. Preheat over to 450 degrees.
2. In a medium bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
3. Stir in flour, salt and oil. Mix until smooth. Let rest for 5 minutes.
4. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and pat into a round/fit to pan. Roll edges to create crust.
6. Mix egg and water together to create an egg wash. Brush crust with wash.
7. Transfer crust to a lightly greased or parchment-lined pan.
Ingredients for béchamel sauce:
• 3 Tbsp of butter
• ½ small white onion
• Salt to taste
• 6 heaping Tbsp of flour
• 1 quart milk
• Pinch of nutmeg
•3/4 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese
Directions for béchamel sauce:
1. Add the butter and onion to a large saucepan over medium heat.
2. Season the onions with salt, to taste, and cook until they become translucent and very aromatic.
3. Add the flour and cook until the flour and butter resemble wet sand, about 3 to 4 minutes.
4. Gradually, whisk in the milk until incorporated. Add nutmeg and season with salt.
5. Slowly bring the milk/flour mixture to a boil, stirring frequently to prevent scorching on the bottom.
6. If you want the sauce to be thicker, continue to add a Tbsp of flour at a time slowly until you've reached desired consistency.
7. Once the sauce has come to a boil and has thickened, removed it from heat. Stir in cheese.
8. After sauce is applied to the crust, store and refrigerate leftover béchamel for awesome pasta sauce later in the week.
Ingredients for mac and cheese:
• Salt to taste
• 1 package of thick-cut bacon
• 1 package of cavatappi
• Panko breadcrumbs
• Half a stick of butter
• 1 medium bag of shredded mozzarella
• 1 medium bag of shredded sharp cheddar
• Milk (optional)
Directions for mac and cheese:
1. Place bacon onto baking sheet, and cook until crispy. Cut into a small dice once cooled.
2. Bring large pot of salted water to a boil.
3. Cook pasta al dente and drain.
4. While hot, combine mozzarella, cheddar, bacon and butter with pasta.
Directions for mac and cheese pizza assembly and cook time:
1. Apply thin layer of béchamel sauce to crust.
2. Evenly spread generous portion of mac and cheese on top of sauce.
3. Bake for 15 minutes.
4. Add thin layer of panko breadcrumbs and another topping of cheddar cheese.
5. Place pizza under broiler until golden brown. Watch closely to prevent overcooking.
6. Let baked pizza cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Everything about this pizza is perfect. The crust is soft but sturdy. The béchamel sauce convinced me that there is a God. The mac and cheese recipe was passed down to me from an older Southern woman, so, I mean, it's flawless. All together, this pie creates pure bliss.
The only downside to this recipe is that it is labor intensive. It's worth every bit of effort, though.
Now, close your computer. Go to the grocery story. Make this now. Eat. Enjoy. Repeat.
You can thank me later.