“Nobody's going to pop an assistant sheriff for a deuce. In other words, I wouldn't be arrested for drunk driving.”
–Don Haidl, a businessman who'd been named assistant sheriff by Mike Carona after he'd illegally funded Carona's first campaign for Orange County sheriff, testifying today about what Carona promised him as a perk for his support.
(R. Scott Moxley / OC Weekly)
R. Scott Moxley’s award-winning investigative journalism has touched nerves for two decades. An angry congressman threatened to break Moxley’s knee caps. A dirty sheriff promised his critical reporting was irrelevant and then landed in prison. Corporate crooks won’t take his calls. Murderous gangsters mad-dogged him in court. The U.S. House of Representatives debated his work. Pusillanimous cops have left hostile messages using fake names. Federal prosecutors credited his stories for the arrest of a doctor who sold fake medicine to dying patients. And a frantic state legislator literally caught sleeping with lobbyists sprinted down state capital hallways to evade his questions in Sacramento. Moxley has won Journalist of the Year honors at the Los Angeles Press Club and been named Distinguished Journalist of the Year by the LA Society of Professional Journalists.
- If You're Going To Be A Crook, It's Nice To Be Polite, No? "He thanked me very much." --Newport Beach businessman Don Haidl in testimony today about indicted Orange County Sheriff Mike Carona's reaction to 48 secret monthly $1,000 cash bribes that won the untrained Haidl full California police powers as assistant sheriff of the nation's fifth largest sheriff's agency. (R. Scott […]
- But Mike Carona Cried on Robert Schuller's Hour of Power. . . “Cocksucker . . . He can suck my dick . . . Bob McDonell’s a lying cocksucker. Uh, most of what he’s done is illegal and my guess is that at some point in time, um, he’ll either get the shit sued out of him or he’s gonna get indicted on something, so you can tell him I said that.” --In July 2007, before his FBI indictment on corruption […]
- Mike Carona Corruption Trial Quote of the Day! "Unless they can figure out the conspiracy." --Then-Orange County Sheriff Mike Carona in a secretly recorded August 2007 conversation with multimillionaire Don Haidl on ways the FBI might be able to extend the criminal statute of limitations on him accepting bribes from five years to nine. (R. Scott Moxley / OC Weekly)
- Mike Carona Corruption Trial Exchange of the Day! Jeff Rawitz: Why did you say Joe Cavallo is a women hater [during an FBI secretly recorded conversation]? Don Haidl: Joe Cavallo has been in my presence when he's been short and rude to women . . . I don't know if he hates all women in the world. Rawitz: [Nods] Haidl: He's been rude to men too. Rawitz, […]
- Doozy of the Day at The Sheriff Mike Carona Corruption Trial "I'm the sheriff. I can do whatever I want." --Prior to his arrest on federal bribery charges, Mike Carona confided his view of the world to a law enforcement colleague concerned about the Orange County sheriff's close friendship with Ed Grech, a local businessman whom the FBI had secretly recorded calling a major suspect in a […]
- Mike Carona CAT Scan Finds No Integrity Cells? "Mike Carona would get the Orange County deputies and other Orange County employees on board and work all the other agencies." --Ex-Assistant Sheriff Don Haidl testifying today about the role Carona, the indicted ex-sheriff, wanted to play in an unsuccessful scheme to get government employees in California to use a health care benefit […]