Downtown Santa Ana's weekly farmers' market is your Thursday alternative. You get to walk off work frustrations, purchase goodies for immediate (or future) consumption and socialize as much or as little throughout, maybe extending your evening at a nearby establishment for dinner and a movie. If there was a way to receive discounts for shopping local, I bet the food would taste better. Lucky you, the canvas bag is ready to save you some coin. More on that shortly.
What I wanted to point out first is that beginning June 19, the market will launch new hours. Starting one hour later than usual, they plan to go from 3 – 8 p.m. Not this week, okay? Set a reminder and move on. Okay, let's discuss savings . . .
Sold weekly at the information booth, the canvas market bags are priced at a curious $15. Besides the time and energy used to craft your nifty, reusable grocery holder, it contains more than meets the eye (pause for inevitable Transformers reference). Owners of the canvas are privy to Thursday discounts galore. Here's the current list:
* Chapter One – 10% off total bill
* Diego's – 10% off food and happy hour drink prices all day
* Paninoteca Maggio (temporarily closed for relocation) 50% off your total bill
* Ketri – free "sconkie"
* Little Sparrow – 10% off total bill
* C4 – 10% off total bill
* CIVIC – free small housemade lemonade
* Sugaring Downtown – 15% off any service
* Lola Gaspar – 10% off total bill
* Gypsy Den – 10% off total bill
* Brooklyn Harper – 10% off total purchase
* The Yost Theater – $10 towards any purchase
* Frida Cinema – free small drink with popcorn purchase
* Elite Fitness – 10% off monthly gym membership
* Proof Bar – $1 well drinks until 9 p.m.
* Tootsie Ice Cream – free cookie with purchase
* Bicycle Tree – 10% off goods and services
* Tabu Burger – 10% off total bill
* Rags News Stand – 10% off total purchase
Just a reminder that these Friends of the Market Perks are only available on days when the DTSA farmers' market is in session. Check with the individual businesses for more information on their specific discounts. Also, be kind to your canvas and wash it periodically. Your groceries will appreciate it.