Behold the beginning of our 100 Favorite Dishes of 2016 listicle! Every day through the publication of our Best Of 2016 issue (and sometimes, twice a day), we’ll be bringing you our favorite dishes across Orange County, leading up to the best in the land. Enjoy!
Let’s be real here: If you live in Southern California, you’ve eaten an açaí bowl or have looked at the word and wondered how to pronounce it. One more time: it’s pronounced ah-sah-EE—I don’t want to hear you ever butcher this again. Also, we’ve found the right bowl for you: the Maui Sunrise from The Original Banzai Bowls.
Blended into a thicker-than-smoothie substance is coconut milk, pineapple juice, bananas, strawberries, mango, and of course, the acai berry. These ingredients make a healthy blend that nevertheless satisfies your sweets craving; the natural sugariness of the strawberries, the ripened bananas, the fresh mango. The goodness continues with coconut shreds, honey, blueberries, banana and strawberry topped on the bowl, giving each spoonful a crunchy texture. This bowl isn’t just tasteful; it’s visually pleasing, with the blend’s vivid purple hue and a lineup of bright fruit on top make for a Snapchat worthy of a thousand filters.
The Original Banzai Bowls, 488 E. 17th St., Costa Mesa, (949) 722-8329
88. Meals from The Performance Kitchen
89. Pizza-Sized Quesadilla at Los Sanchez
90. Filipino Brunch at EATS Kitchen And Bar
91. Mexican Chocolate at the Pie Hole
92. Biscuits at James Republic
93. Mushroom Flatbread with Kale and Kumquat Salad at Lemonade
94. Mexican-Style Gelatins from Santa Ana’s Gelatina Goddess
95. Hot Pastrami Caesar Salad at Bruxie
96. Jalapeño Pupusas at Las Cazuelas
97. Meatball Sliders at Fresh Brothers
98. Buffalo Cauliflower at Mead’s Green Door Cafe
99. Raindrop Cake at Sunmerry Bakery
100. Doughrito at Surfin’ Donuts