Behold the beginning of our annual 100 Favorite Dishes countdown! Every day until the publication of our fantabulous Best Of Issue, we'll list our favorite meals this year in descending order. Enjoy, pass it on, and tune in daily!
Umami Burger has quickly become the Arcade Fire of OC burger joints. Several years ago, a passing reference to the depth of the fifth flavor (or Funeral) made you sound like someone who knew something; now, you sound like someone who knows how much records cost at Urban Outfitters. But there's something we forgot in the fog of pretension and subsequent backlash–namely, that The Suburbs is a great album. And Umami makes a damn good burger.
Burgers rarely get better than the lemon miso crab melt.
A speciality of the Laguna Beach location, this sandwich pairs mounds of jumbo lump crab with a soft layer of burrata cheese. Factor in the light crunch of Umami's branded bun and you have a textural dream team.
Additional flavor comes courtesy of halved heirloom baby tomatoes and a light lemon miso dressing. It all culminates in a burger that cuts through the bullshit, through the hype and backlash, the hipster haze that is so easy to hate.
78. Pani Puri from Adya
79. The Pocket at the Pocket Burger
80. Gyro Sandwich from Paul's Place
81. Slice of Heaven at Pie-Not
82. Taquitos at El Toro Bravo
83. Peanut Butter and Jelly Donut at the Donuttery
84. Dan Dan Mian at Wei-Shian Noodle
85. Beef Burger at Rider's Club Café
86. Smoked Trout at Provenance
87. Small Plates at A&J Restaurant
88. Corn Cheese at Zoomak Asian Bistro
89. Pumpkin Curry at Bhan Baitong
90. Poke at Costco Tustin II
91. Pambazo at Tacos Radioactivos
92. Beef Pho at Pho Crystal Noodle House
93. Breakfast Burrito from Cafe Calacas
94. Koobideh Plate from Grill Cafe
95. Tacos de Cecina from Alebrije's
/ching_chinese_express_jajangmyeong.php> 96. Jajangmyeong from Ching Chinese Express
97. Breakfast Sausage from Da-Le Ranch
98. Any Special Dinner by Old Vine Cafe's Mark McDonald
99. Tres Amigos Burrito from Piaggio on Wheels
100. Bacon-Wrapped Dates from Lola Gaspar