Sound Spectrum in Laguna Beach is a venerable record store with an incredible reggae selection and albums from local artists. The store opened in the late 1960s and remains a small time capsule of Laguna from back then. The shop has some sweet finds, like original psychedelic calendars and gifts. Owner Jim Otto and his staff are hardcore music enthusiasts always ready to point you toward undiscovered gems.
1) Sade, Soldier of Love (Sony)
2) Jimi Hendrix, Valleys of Neptune (Legacy)
3) Peter Gabriel, Scratch My Back (Real World)
4) Rogue Wave, Permalight (Brushfire)
5) The XX, XX (Young Turks)
6) Johnny Cash, American VI: Ain't No Grave (Lost Highway)
7) Broken Bells, Broken Bells (Columbia)
8) Gorillaz, Broken Beach (Virgin)
9) Yeasayer, Odd Blood (Secretley Canadian)
10) OK Go, Of The Blue Colour Of The Sky (Capitol)
STAFF PICK: Guadi & Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, Dub Qawwali: "Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan was the master of Qawwali chant, a Middle East holy chant. He passed away a few years ago, and these are old, traditional chants that were turned into a dub groove, with a lot of bass and fusion. This album is very hypnotic and trance-like. He has an amazing vocal range." --Jim Otto.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!