Photo by Jeanne Rice(THURSDAYS, 10 A.M.-NOON)
• Atticus Council live on KUCI, April 14 (unreleased). "OC's first and last hope for jazz-improv salvation."
• David Boykin Outet, Evidence of Life on Other Planets, Vol. 1 (Thrilljockey). "'70s avant/free-jazz spirit; '90s players and sound. The real deal."
• Shape Shifters, 2012. "Local conscious outer-spacey hip-hop."
• The Pressure, Things Move Fast (Elastic). "Get well, Jason."
• The Art Davis Trio, featuring Billy Higgins and Nels Cline (live gig). "Cline proves himself yet again alongside these two jazz titans."
• Godspeed You Black Emperor!, Slow Riot for New Zero Kanada (Kranky). "Space-rock heirs from Canada? Who knew?"
• Edith Frost, Telescopic (Drag City). "Hold me all night."
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
• Thurston Moore/Evan Parker/Walter Prati, The Promise (Materiali Sonori). "Sick-ass guitar/sax/bass improvs from Italia. Bring the noise."
• Nina Simone, Wild Is the Wind/High Priestess of Soul (Phillips/Mercury). "Nina sings, and time stops. It's that simple."
• Superchunk, Come Pick Me Up (Merge). "Better with age, as the saying goes. Don't let anyone tell you different."
• Sonic Youth live with borrowed gear at This Ain't No Picnic, July 4.