Encinitas-based Da Vinci Outreach, a national initiative to expose the “anti-Catholic lies” in the upcoming film version of Dan Brown's novel The Da Vinci Code, is demanding that director Ron Howard “clearly state” that the film is a work of fiction. Since it deals with biblical prophesy isn't that obvious already?
Matt Coker has been engaging, enraging and entertaining readers of newspapers, magazines and websites for decades. He spent the first 13 years of his career in journalism at daily newspapers before “graduating” to OC Weekly in 1995 as the paper’s first calendar editor. He went on to be managing editor, executive editor and is now senior staff writer.
- Arrested Development Movie Plot Leaks Out? What's purported to be the plot to the movie based on the best-ever television show based on life in Orange County has leaked out.The source of the scoop is said to be someone very close to the production of the Arrested Development movie.Meanwhile, there's big news involving a cast member central to that plot. He's shown […]
- No Casual Readers, Please Illustration by Matt AdamsWe've received a lot of e-mails regarding a piece of satire we did in our recent Scariest People issue. Titled "The Arab Who Lives Down the Street," it ran as the No. 11 entry and, we thought, blasted the bigots who target Arab-Americans by showing the bigots' paranoia and ignorance. For example: "I […]
- What Do a Santa Ana Artist, Former Orange County Curator, Leonardo da Vinci and Citizen Space Exploration Have in Common? A Santa Ana artist who has created an institute dedicated to the life and work of Leonardo da Vinci has joined visions with a former Orange County museum curator opening a new exhibit on citizen space exploration "to dream, conceptualize and build the world of tomorrow." You can't see the fruits of this partnership here, […]
- LAGUNA BEACH It's always tourist season in Laguna Beach, especially in the summer. Stroll along Main Beach's boardwalk, and in addition to the usual day trippers, you'll hear people speaking German, Russian, Japanese, French and Italian, which is only cool until you hear Lauren Conrad's name mixed in with all the accents. Yes, the […]
- OC Church of Scientology Needs to Work on their Proselytizing I read more about Scientology than normal people should, only because I'm a bit obsessed about religions, pseudo-religions, and their secrets. So when the followers of L. Ron Hubbard bought a historic SanTana building a couple of years ago, I figured they were about to launch a massive outreach effort to wean Orange Countians away […]
- Remote Hog Dog Bites Man Comedy Central 10:30 tonight You've got to hand it to Comedy Central. It was a master stroke enlisting Chapman University polisci professor Fred Smoller to provide free publicity for this fake news show created by Dan Mazer of Da Ali G Show fame. Dog Bites Man uses a mix of improvisation, scripted comedy […]