“Are you al lright?” David Letterman asked Strokes lead singer Julian Casablancas after they performed “Taken for a Fool.” He seemed more than all right; the Strokes are back! “Taken for a Fool” is from their latest album, Angles. Watch the performance after the jump.
- The Exploding Hearts THE EXPLODING HEARTS GUITAR ROMANTIC DIRTNAP Power-pop punk only has room for geniuses or Xerox machines; if you're not razor-sharp enough to be a Buzzcock, you better be sneaky enough to steal their riffs out from under them, else your clunky little three-chord love song is gonna sink straight to the bottom of the […]
- The Strokes to Release Fourth Album in March It has been 10 years since the Strokes released their classic debut album, Is This It. The group is now almost done with their fourth full-length, tentatively titled Angles and scheduled for release on March 22. The advance word is that it's their best since the debut--and most similar, though the band's increasing tendency […]
- Tina Fey's Prayer for a Daughter Tina Fey's new book, Bossypants, features "Prayer for a Daughter," which she wrote for her daughter Alice. It includes thoughts every mother has--only, you know, it's Tina Fey. May all mothers be as cool as her. (After the jump, you can also watch an excerpt of her interview about motherhood on Letterman.) [via […]
- Joaquin Phoenix Implodes to Prove a Point I’m Still Here—”that Joaquin Phoenix movie”—capitalizes on an anxiety that’s very of-the-moment, uniting pop-cultural phenomena as seemingly disparate as the too-stupid/good-to-be-true Jersey Shore characters, James Franco’s baffling side careers as a professional student and soap-opera stud, and pretty much everything having to do with […]
- Get Out! THURSDAY, APRIL 13 Twenty-four hours to go: Sutherland-svengalied Rocco De Luca steels hearts at Detroit. FRIDAY Five years ago, ska-punk band Jeffries Fan Club broke up because—as reported in this paper—lead singer Mike Dziurgot wanted to devote his life to God and prepare for the End Times, though he later admitted—with […]
- What Is It About the Gay Heroin Addicts? Photo by Jeanne RiceSave Ferris' cheeky front woman Monique Powell is a girl's girl, if by that, you mean someone who not only likes to talk about bodily functions but also about boys and makeup. On this day, she wasn't as much of a bitch as I'd hoped, though, because I really wanted someone with whom to bitch about […]