News item: The Santa Ana City Council unanimously approved a new operating permit for a gay nightclub and restaurant after Velvet Lounge's owners agreed to forgo boxes and poles for go-go dancers to dance on.
Insta reaction: Buying drinks for possessors of boxes and poles will be allowed in the downtown hot spot, however.
Matt Coker has been engaging, enraging and entertaining readers of newspapers, magazines and websites for decades. He spent the first 13 years of his career in journalism at daily newspapers before “graduating” to OC Weekly in 1995 as the paper’s first calendar editor. He went on to be managing editor, executive editor and is now senior staff writer.
- Spirit Tuesdays With the recent departure of the almost-totally sucessful Spin Tuesdays at the Block of Orange (seems that the venue, Lucky Strike, was lacking proper nightclub permits, though some cry police harassment), Orange County gay nightlife was looking bleak—but only for a few weeks. The ever-resilient Proof Bar in Santa Ana brings you Spirit […]
- Best Lesbian Bar Even with all the buzz surrounding Santa Ana's newest gay bar, locals know the place isn't a total sausage fest. In fact, every Sunday, VLVT Velvet Lounge is also home to Cherry, which touts itself as "OC's Sexiest Girls' Night." The layout of the bar definitely lends itself to that title—flashy nightclub feel with lots […]
- Zackery Glass Wants to Make OC Pride a Year-Round Movement From the Stonewall riots to marriage equality, LGBT rights have experienced an amazing trajectory toward acceptance. But for activist and current OC Pride president Zackery Glass, there's more work to be done. "The question I get asked now is, 'Is Pride as relevant as it used to be?'" he says before answering the question: […]
- Noise Annoys Photo by James BunoanLong Beach art space Koo's has been doing pretty good this year, riding into the last months of a short-term entertainment license permitting amplified entertainment—all those loud bands the kids love—with a steadier reputation than ever, thanks to several well-reviewed art shows that demonstrated Koo's […]
- Soaked Fridays Oh what fun it is to ride and sing a slaying song tonight—most notably with the hot go-go boys and club goers having a jingle ball at Long Beach's gay nightspot Hamburger Mary's. The wet and wild event known as Soaked happens every week and this post-holiday food coma Friday is no exception. Christmas may be over, but you can […]
- Boy Bar The last party night of the year should be just as celebrated as the first, so don't dust the glitter off just yet—Long Beach's most notorious boys night is still going strong. Drink specials, go-go guys, DJ Zach Moos, there's even a hot body contest—so for boys that like boys and aren't still hungover from New […]