Orange County District Attorney Tony Rackauckas recently announced he'll seek re-election this year, setting himself up for a fifth term as the region's top prosecutor.
But before that, on March 18, he celebrates his 71st birthday. Obviously, the world has changed much during those 71 years, but just look at some of what happened in the DA's first year on Earth.
1) On the day he was born, the American Steam merchant the James Oglethorpe, on her maiden voyage from New York to Liverpool, was struck by a torpedo fired by a German U-boat and sank. Forty-four on board died and 30 survived.
2) An assassination attempt on Adolf Hitler failed.
3) Frank Nitti, the Chicago Outfit boss after Al Capone, committed suicide at the Chicago Central Railyard.
4) Dr. Albert Hofmann discovered the psychedelic effects of LSD.
5) Berlin was declared "Judenrien" (free of Jews).
6) A mob of 60 from the Los Angeles Naval Reserve Armory beat up everyone perceived to be Latino, starting the week-long Zoot Suit Riots.
7) Lieutenant John F. Kennedy's boat PT-109 sank at Solomon Islands.
8) General George S. Patton slapped a U.S. GI in a hospital, accusing him of cowardice. He did the same to a second serviceman a short time later.
9) The Batman & Robin comic strip premiered in newspapers.
10) Casablanca was named Best Picture at the 16th Academy Awards.
Here's looking at you, T-Rack.