The Guardian is reporting that a teenager celebrating her 18th birthday at a wine bar in England ingested liquid nitrogen that was poured into her cocktail to make it billow with smoke.
Gaby Scanlon, from Heysham, Lancashire, was with friends at Oscar's
wine bar in Lancaster city centre when she began to feel ill, becoming
breathless and developing severe stomach pain.
She was taken to
hospital at 11pm on Thursday, where she was diagnosed with a perforated
stomach. Surgeons operated immediately to save her life. Lancashire
police said: “Medical opinion is that this would have proved fatal had
the operation not been carried out urgently.” She is now in a serious
but stable condition in the Lancaster Royal Infirmary.
- Man Demands Free Food At McDonald's, Says He's A Cop, Gets Arrested By The Real Ones
- “Human Meat” Butcher Shop Opens in London
- Racial Controversy Surrounds Peanut Butter And Jelly Sandwiches
The paper reports that the wine bar has stopped serving the drink and authorities were investigating the incident.
Here's a video from The Guardian of a comment made by Paul Ashton, director of public health for NHS Cumbria, of the incident :