Yesterday was one of the less-attended weekend protests outside the Fullerton Police Station for their killing of Kelly Thomas–just about 150 people showed up on a baking Saturday afternoon. That didn't bother Kelly's father, Ron, at all.
“I'm glad that these people were dedicating these beautiful Saturdays to
bring justice for my son” he told Weekly correspondent Ed Carrasco. “I can't expect all of them to come out every
week and they deserve a break. It doesn't mean that they're not for the
cause at all.”
The big mainstream-media story in the Kelly Thomas murder this week (since none will pick up Friends for Fullerton's Future recent interview of a witness) was the refusal by the Orange County District Attorney's office to publicly release the names of the six officers involved in Kelly's beating death because they're supposedly receiving death threats. To that, Ron had something rather wonderful to say.
“I don't care if they're afraid or running for their lives,” Ron told Carrasco. “I hope
they're so afraid they have diarrhea every day. What rights did my son
have? They killed him right on the spot. They took away my son's civil
rights. I will do everything I can to [get] the Officer's Bill of Rights
rewritten. There may be no intent for murder but there was blatant
malice. Why are these men with guns and full pay? They should be taken
off with no pay.”
The other development at yesterday's protest was plans by some to protest OC DA Tony Rackauckas' office for his refusal to release the police officers' names. “It's good to put pressure on the Fullerton Police
Department, but now it's time to put pressure on the District Attorney,” Joey Cadavid told Carrasco.
“Not one has signed up to keep the DA accountable. It's the DA's
responsibility to prosecute these bad cops…The way the officers [beat Kelly]
shows that they're not just capable of murder, but they can do it
The Weekly's previous coverage of Thomas' death:
- Calls for Resignation, Recall in Fullerton over Kelly Thomas Beating
- Kelly's Heroes: Fullerton police savagely killed Kelly Thomas and businessman/blogger Tony Bushala isn't letting anyone forget
- “Justice for Kelly” Chanted at Vigil for Fullerton Police Brutality Victim
- Hundreds Protest Fullerton Police Brutality After Disgraceful Kelly Thomas Killing
- Protest Fullerton Police Brutality Today: Victim's Vigil Tonigh
- Fullerton Cops Involved in Death of Kelly Thomas Back On Duty
- Kelly Thomas' Officer-Involved Death Was Videotaped; Councilman Calls for Release to Public
- Kelly Thomas' Retired-Deputy Father Blasts Fullerton Police for 'Killing My Son'