John Seiler at The Orange County Register's Orange Punch blog is pissed about the hypocrisy surrounding the federal indictment of former professional baseball pitcher Roger Clemens.
R. Scott Moxley’s award-winning investigative journalism has touched nerves for two decades. An angry congressman threatened to break Moxley’s knee caps. A dirty sheriff promised his critical reporting was irrelevant and then landed in prison. Corporate crooks won’t take his calls. Murderous gangsters mad-dogged him in court. The U.S. House of Representatives debated his work. Pusillanimous cops have left hostile messages using fake names. Federal prosecutors credited his stories for the arrest of a doctor who sold fake medicine to dying patients. And a frantic state legislator literally caught sleeping with lobbyists sprinted down state capital hallways to evade his questions in Sacramento. Moxley has won Journalist of the Year honors at the Los Angeles Press Club and been named Distinguished Journalist of the Year by the LA Society of Professional Journalists.
- Like Facebook For Legislature Not exactly as sexy as water for chocolate, but still. Those crafty bastards over at Sunlight Foundation have cranked out the latest version of their watchdog tool for the Senate, Congress, committees, lobbyists and legislature: Open Congress. We've recently added more ways to access the info created by the public on OpenCongress: […]
- 3hree Things: An Amazing Afternoon At Angel Stadium Watch out for 3hree Things every Tuesday, where Riley Breckenridge, drummer of Orange County's favorite local alt-rock band Thrice, gives his take on life in Southern California as an OC native. Those of you who are familiar with my writing probably already know how much of a baseball-obsessed dork I am. I was born and raised and […]
- Santa Ana Potholes More Popular Than Bush The new Reuters/Zogby poll shows that 76 percent of the country would probably have George W. Bush managing a date shake shop on PCH than serving as president. Only Richard M. Nixon attracted worse approval ratings and he ordered burglaries from the White House. Pollster John Zogby, a Republican, said, “[People] are giving up on this […]
- Baseball Punx Hits Home For Headbanger Sports Fans When people think of the connections between sports and music, they probably don’t immediately consider the parallels between baseball and punk rock. One is arguably the most conservative game in the nation’s history, and the other is a brash style of music that prides itself on being exactly the opposite of that. But for Jak Kerley […]
- Everything-You-Need-To-Know Primer For 60 Minutes Show on OC Snitch Scandal Producers at 60 Minutes announced this week they will air a May 21 CBS broadcast that will include a feature on Orange County's notorious jailhouse informant scandal. The controversy is sensational but also complex, especially given strenuous cover-up efforts by District Attorney Tony Rackauckas and Sheriff Sandra […]
- Playing Stanton Gang Roulette as District Attorney Announces New Gang Injunction The Orange County District Attorney's office (OCDA) is today heralding the 11th injunction brought against an unnamed "multi-generational gang" in Stanton that is "one of the oldest in Orange County, dating back to the early 1950s."The OCDA description fits Hispanic street gang Big Stanton, but right smack in the middle of […]