I came out on KCRW-FM 89.9's Good Food program over the weekend for my monthly review of OC gems worthy of a Southern California audience. The pick this week, one recorded a while back but perfect for our current gloomy weather: Pho Dakao, where the chickens are fresh and the restaurant run-down. Enjoy!
- #82. Com Tam at Com Tam Tran Quy Cap We continue to countdown our 100 favorite dishes at local restaurants. We'll be sharing these with you every weekday until our annual Best Of Issue comes out. Enjoy! #82. Com Tam at Com Tam Tran Quy CapI wish there were more com tam shops in OC than pho shops, especially when the weather gets balmy. I mean, who wants […]
- Pho Thanh Lich, Final Pho Get the Good Food Treatment Pho Thanh Lich continued its victory lap this weekend as the best pho in Orange County. Following its victory in the Final Pho, I also reviewed it for KCRW-FM 89.9's Good Food with Evan Kleiman. Look for a review of the place in our dead-tree issue...soon. In the meanwhile, enjoy the clip!Follow Stick a Fork in it on Twitter […]
- Tustin's Roma D'Italia Reopens Tomorrow Tustin's 50-year-old red-sauce institution, Roma D'Italia, shut down last fall to make way for a major remodel of the place. "Our building is starting to show its age, so we've decided it is time to make a few upgrades so that we can be here to serve you for another 50 years," the restaurant's website says. ] […]
- Chivas Tortas, El Rincón del Sabor Get the Good Food Treatment True story: I wanted to focus specifically on Chivas Tortas, the best overall tortas ahogadas experience in Orange County. It's a great lonchera, and one of the few places where you can drink the fermented corn mash tejuino and Chivas Cola, the official drink of the Chivas soccer squad from Guadalajara.Only one problem: their hours […]
- “Watered-Down Ketchup Broth and Tomato Skins”: A Foodie Reviews the Food in the OC Jail! SO...we got a friend whose friend is doing time at Theo Lacy. And not just any friend of a friend: this guy is someone who loves the good life, who frequented some of the best restaurants in the county...and is now relegated to eating the horrid stuff that jail guards heap on inmates. How horrid? Let the friend of the friend […]
- El Borrego Sagrado Gets the Good Food Treatment Don't forget: This Thursday is our second Good Food Happy Hour alongside KCRW-FM 89.9's Evan Kleiman. Starts at 7 p.m. in Mesa in Costa Mesa! Another reminder tomorrow!And there was also a reminder at the end of my conversation with Evan this past Saturday about El Borrego Sagrado in big, bad SanTana, home of wonderful […]