This week we look at charges against two men who allegedly preyed on children.
Paul Binh Do surrendered to federal authorities last week for allegedly exchanging lewd videos with a 13-year-old girl in Canada he attempted to have sex with on her 14th birthday. The 29-year-old Garden Grove resident met the girl online and they began exchanging videos of one another “engaging in sexual conduct,” according to Thom Mrozek of the U.S. Attorney’s office in Los Angeles. On May 2, 2014, Do traveled to Canada with the intention of having real-live sex with the girl but he was intercepted at the border and detained in Calgary, Mrozek said. Do agreed last month to plead guilty to a count of traveling with the intent to engage in illicit sexual conduct and a count of receipt of child pornography, Mrozek says. Prosecutors are expected to seek up to a nine-year federal prison sentence for Do.
Martin Rodriguez Garcia was arrested in Las Vegas and extradited to Orange County Thursday on a warrant charging him with multiple felony counts of sexually assaulting children dating back to 1990, mostly in Huntington Beach. The 49-year-old, who is being held on $1 million bail, had access to “several female victims” between the ages of 5 to 13, according to Huntington Beach Police Officer Jennifer Marlatt. While most incidents happened in Surf City others are suspected of having occurred elsewhere in Orange County, Marlatt said. Court documents allege incidents stretched through 2006, but police believe assaults happened through 2011. Right now, Garcia is charged with 19 felony counts including lewd or lascivious acts with a minor, sexual intercourse or sodomy with a child 10 years or younger, oral copulation or sexual penetration of a child 10 years or younger, aggravated sexual assault of a child with a foreign object as well as lewd or lascivious acts with a child younger than 14. Investigators suspect there might be more victims and encourage anyone with information to call detectives at 714.375.5066.