This edition includes a possible miscarriage of justice for an autistic boy who was repeatedly molested starting when he was about 5, the surrender of a suspected creeper who allegedly sneaked into the bedroom of a sleeping underage teen, the arraignment of a man accused of molesting five girls over a 21-year period in his neighborhood, and the manhunt for a pervert who touched a 9-year-old boy’s genitals in a public park restroom.
Happy Memorial Day!
Jeffrey Adam Tracy was sentenced last week to 10 years and eight months in state prison and ordered to register as a sex offender for life for molesting an autistic male relative, starting when the boy was about 5 years old. “Hey,” close readers of Monday Pervy Monday are spitting into the screen, “didn’t I already read in this space that the former Huntington Beach resident and self-described church worship leader was sentenced to 36 years to life in the joint?” Indeed you did. But a three-justice panel of the Fourth District Court of Appeal on Jan. 14 reversed Tracy’s convictions on four of seven counts, ruling there was no corroborating evidence of those crimes beyond the 39-year-old’s multiple confessions. Re-sentencing was thus ordered.
Orange County Superior Court Judge Michael Cassidy imposed the maximum sentence he could on two counts of lewd acts upon a child younger than 14 and a count of making child pornography out of a sex act with the boy. The lad’s grandmother told Judge Cassidy she was “dumbfounded with the decision to overturn [Tracy’s] sentencing and dismiss some of the counts, which reduces his sentence. There is something very wrong in this world for this to occur. And this is aside from the fact that it puts others in danger once he is released.” She added, “The victims of sexual abuse and molestation suffer a life sentence of being emotionally locked in. This current ruling is insulting and absurd.” Chief of Staff Susan Kang Schroeder, in an OCDA statement, concurred. “This was a vulnerable victim who could not speak for himself because of his special needs,” she explained. “The defendant is a dangerous predator who told the police in his confession that he chose the victim because the victim’s autism made him unable to communicate the crime. The defendant’s conduct in this case would be no different from babies and toddlers who are often targeted for abuse because they cannot speak for themselves. The Orange County District Attorney’s office will continue fighting sexual predators who target those who cannot speak for themselves.”
Robert Tana, who was the subject of a manhunt for allegedly assaulting an underage teen who had been sleeping, turned himself in at Harbor Justice Center in Newport Beach on Friday, according Irvine Police spokeswoman Farrah Emami. The 42-year-old Garden Grove resident was spending the night at the Irvine home of an acquaintance on March 23 when he allegedly sneaked into the girl’s room as she was sleeping around 4 a.m. Tana is accused of starting to sexually assault the girl, who woke up and fought him off. He left after the alleged attack and briefly disappeared, prompting the Irvine Police Department to issue a $1 million warrant for his arrest on suspected lewd and lascivious acts on a child. Orange County Jail records indicate Tana is still behind bars.
Martin Rodriguez Garcia, who was arrested in Las Vegas in February on suspicion of sexually assaulting five girls under the age of 14 in his Huntington Beach residence between May 1990 and March 2011, was arraigned at West Justice Center in Westminster last week. The 49-year-old is charged with one felony count of sexual intercourse or sodomy with a child 10 years or younger, one felony count of oral copulation or sexual penetration with a child 10 years or younger, 14 felony counts of committing lewd acts upon a child under 14, and four felony counts of aggravated sexual assault of a child with sentencing enhancement allegations for substantial sexual conduct with a child and for committing lewd acts upon multiple victims. Held on $1 million bail, Garcia could get 288 years and eight months to life in state prison if he is convicted, according to the Orange County District Attorney’s office.
Garcia lived in the same Surf City neighborhood as the girls, who ranged in age from 5 to 14, the OCDA says. He is accused of assaulting them multiple times, including sexual penetration, oral copulation, masturbation, and sexual intercourse. It was after one alleged victim reported the abuse in February that a Huntington Beach Police Department investigation was mounted, Garcia was found to be residing in Las Vegas and, with the help of Nevada authorities, he was located, arrested and extradited back to Orange County to face the music.
A 25- to 35-year-old man touched the genitals of a boy in a public park restroom on May 22, according to a Santa Ana Police Department advisory seeking to locate the perpetrator. Around 4:25 that Sunday afternoon, the 9-year-old boy was with his mother, attending a birthday party at Jerome Park, 726 S. Center St., Santa Ana. He went into the restroom, where he was shortly joined by the man he did not know. “The suspect had a short conversation with the boy in Spanish before he worked his way into the stall with the kid,” molested him and left, according to Santa Ana Police Cpl. Anthony Bertagna. The man had short hair, a thin mustache and was wearing a white t-shirt and blue pants. Anyone who can help Santa Ana Police detectives is asked to call them at 714.245.8343. You can leave an anonymous tip with Orange County Crime Stoppers at 855.847.6227 (855-TIP-OCCS), via occrimestoppers.org or by texting to 274637 (C-R-I-M-E-S) from a cell phone. (All text messages should begin with the letters “OCCS”.)