See Update No. 3 at the bottom of page 2 on the charges against Jorge Ocampo. Update No. 2 is about his arrest for being the alleged hit-and-run driver blamed for two deaths. Update No. 1 has police saying the suspect may have been racing.
ORIGINAL POST, AUG. 23, 12:18 P.M.: Two people have now died after a hit-and-run wreck this morning at Cabrillo Park Drive and Fruit Street in Santa Ana, where a driver who fled the scene on foot is being sought.
Santa Ana Police have set up a perimeter around the area where the driver of an Audi sedan that plowed into a Nissan Sentra is suspected of hiding.
He was described as Asian, 20 to 30 years old with a shaved head, white shirt, black shorts and tattoos on his arms, according to police.
UPDATE NO. 1, AUG. 23, 1:27 P.M.: The black Audi may have been racing around 11 a.m. when it blew through a stop sign heading north on Cabrillo Park Drive at Fruit Street and broadside the blue Nissan Sentra making a left turn, according to police.
The 53-year-old man of Santa Ana who had been driving the Nissan was later pronounced dead at the scene. His 50-year-old male passenger of Santa Ana died at a local hospital.
Meanwhile, the Audi driver and a passenger got out of the sedan and walked away, disappearing into a condominium complex as the driver talked on a cell phone, Santa Ana Police spokesman Anthony Bertagna reportedly told City News Service.
Witnesses said they heard loud music coming out of the Audi before the crash.
UPDATE NO. 2, AUG. 26, 7:27 A.M.: Jorge Ocampo is not Asian, as Santa Ana Police described the driver sought for killing two people in Santa Ana Friday morning, but the known gang member did surrender to officers as the man they wanted that night.
The 21-year-old's family members were reportedly by his side when he turned himself in to answer to charges of vehicular manslaughter, felony hit-and-run and driving without a license.
Police have also identified the victims as 50-year-old Jose Luna and the 53-year-old driver, Alejandro Bravo. Ocampo reportedly checked on the pair briefly after the accident, then pulled out his cellphone. But police allege he did not call 9-1-1 for help but a friend for a ride. That person could face accessory charges.
Police are now saying there was not another man with Ocampo in the Audi, despite the initial reports indicating there were two men.
UPDATE NO. 3, AUG. 27, 11:18 A.M.: As Santa Ana deals with another fatal hit and run today–this time it was 85-year-old pedestrian Joseph Rudolph killed earlier this morning on Euclid Street; 33-year-old Michael Truong Pham has been booked–the Orange County District Attorney's office announced charges in Friday's collision that left two men dead.
Documented gang member Jorge Navarro Ocampo 21, of Santa Ana, is to be arraigned today on two felony counts of vehicular manslaughter with gross negligence, one felony count of hit and run with permanent injury or death, one misdemeanor count of driving without a valid license, and sentencing enhancements for causing great bodily injury.
A conviction could send Ocampo to state prison for up to 20 years.
Ocampo is being held on $100,000 bail in his hometown jail, the site of today's scheduled arraignment hearing.
Like Ocampo, Pham turned himself in to authorities after leaving the scene. A Santa Ana police official reportedly told City News Service that had Pham stayed with Rudolph, he probably would not have been arrested in what would have likely been considered a tragic accident.