Matt Coker has been engaging, enraging and entertaining readers of newspapers, magazines and websites for decades. He spent the first 13 years of his career in journalism at daily newspapers before “graduating” to OC Weekly in 1995 as the paper’s first calendar editor. He went on to be managing editor, executive editor and is now senior staff writer.
- The Fabulous World of Gay Wine As I was scarfing down empanadas today at El Gaucho #2 in Anaheim, my eyes were drawn to cases and cases of wine below the all-fútbol-all-the-tiempo big-screen TVs. Cases of wine are not exactly out of place in an Argentine market with a fantastic sandwich counter, but somehow this stuck out: the boxes read, "Arcoiris Gay […]
- Shithole: [OC Weekly Cartoon] Artist statement by Bob Aul: I heard on NPR a while ago about bacteria in goose shit which was found to thrive on toxins in highly polluted waters of an abandoned pit mine in Montana—waters that actually killed the geese by the thousands. Donald Trump is kind of like that bacteria—thriving in the toxic cultural soup of 7 decades’ […]
- 'Shadow of Suspicion' For four years, Orange County has been famous for its high-profile bankruptcy. Thanks to former Brea city councilman Wayne Wedin, the county may now have a new claim to financial infamy. A recent state report claims California's school districts have wasted millions of dollars on controversial construction projects over the past […]
- White Trash Disco Photo by Johan VogelSeemingly oblivious to the political massacre taking place, a smiling Dan Quayle stood before his fellow Republicans on election night at the Sutton Place Hotel in Newport Beach and said, "We have just begun to fight." It was, of course, a little late to begin fighting. The polls had been closed for 90 minutes […]
- Things That Really, Really Scare Me A campaign staffer for Orange County Supervisor Jim Silva phoned the Weekly the morning of Oct. 21 to invite us to a press conference that afternoon featuring Sheriff Brad Gates and Silva's Board of Supervisors colleague William Steiner. Faster than you can say, "Oh, dear God, you invited WHO?" we got a call back informing us the […]
- How Low Will Dornan Go? For those familiar with robert dornan's hilariously ironic political-campaign slogans (including "Faith. Family. Freedom."), add a new one for this year's Republican primary battle to unseat first-term Democratic Representative Loretta Sanchez in November: "No Fear." It is doubly ironic that Dornan—who turned 65 on April […]