In honor of Dr. Meth Luther King, Jr.:
- Martin Luther King Jr.'s Most Memorable Samples Today is Martin Luther King, Jr. Day where we celebrate the birth and countless contributions the good Reverend Doctor made in the name of civil rights and equality in this country. Among Dr. King's most memorable works were his inspiring speeches. It's easy to forget that in a pre-internet/mass media era, the only way one […]
- It's Your Money In late June, the Orange County Board of Supervisors agreed that the hundreds of thousands of dollars they'd already spent on a fence at Juvenile Hall wasn't good enough. Now, they've decided to spend an additional $998,000 for a new, taller perimeter fence. That figure is a whopping 46 percent more than estimated costs. […]
- Gwen Stefani Honored for Her Amazing Abs Yep, the readers of Fitness Magazine have voted and Orange County's most famous female singer (and fashion designer) has rightfully topped the abs tally. Congrats, Gwen, we've been fans of that sexy tummy for years!
- Nilu Madadi, Irvine-Based Iranian-American Singer, Goes Viral With a Nod From Young the Giant Nilu Madadi, a 23 year-old Iranian-American musician based in Irvine, has started the new year off on the right note. The singer-songwriter has been making a name for herself since a YouTube video of her Noise Coalition Live Sessions performance of "Sing for You" was uploaded earlier this month. Madadi's original composition has […]
- Who Will Keep Rap Revolutionary? An old photo of Gil Scott-Heron, hard-jawed and softly Afro'd and intensely handsome, appeared in the Random Notes section of last week's Rolling Stone. But it was part of another, newer picture: conscious-rap group the Roots and hip-hop chanteuse Erykah Badu were smiling for the camera after a recent concert together. […]
- Video Premiere: Kadillak Kaz Gets High on Art in “I'm In This” How does Santa Ana rapper Kadillak Kaz spend his downtime? Getting high on culture--and plenty of cannabis. In his latest video for the single "I'm In This" off of his recently released Downtime EP, the former OC Weekly cover boy stares at paint slathered portraits of Jimi Hendrix, Dr. Martin Luther King, and Malcolm X […]