TV food critic Elmer Dills, who was a regular on KABC's Eyewitness News, passed away yesterday at 82. Read the story on KABC's own website.
- Where to Buy Tamales in Orange County This Christmas, 2012 Edition! This is hilarious. Every year around this time, I get asked where to buy the best tamales in Orange County. Really, the answers rarely change. Below is the article on the subject I did last year, which itself is mostly a retread of a story I did back in 2007. Other plugs I'll give right now are for the tamales at Rubalcava's […]
- ¡Ask a Comida Critic! On Our Disappearing Cemitas Poblanas Trucks I have other, non-Mexican related food questions in queue, but am answering this one because the answer pisses me off:After reading your write-up on this cemita truck, I headed out but could not find it. But on my second try, the truck was right there where you said it would be. The cemitas they offered was unreal. Perfect […]
- The Stitches Photo by James BunoanMike Lohrman used to be an anonymous front-toothless punk who'd get kicked out of every show he went to. Then he started the Stitches. Chris Ziegler's Aug. 22, 2003, story "Throw It All Away" posited the Stitches should have been big but aren't, should have died but didn't, could have given up but […]
- OC Philly Cheesesteaks Better than Philly Legends! While in Philadelphia last week, I was able to taste the city's two most famous Philly cheesesteak joints: Geno's and Pat's King of Steaks. Read my review of Geno's here, then come back. Read it? Geno's doesn't begin to COMPARE to some of OC's better Philly cheesesteak gems--I'm thinking Philly's […]
- Grub Guide The lunar New Year came and passed last weekend, but Asian food rocks all year long. Here's some of the places we've obsessed over for the past couple of months. Also, congrats to Sandra Sutphen of Yorba Linda for correctly figuring out that I didn't include Laguna Niguel in the Jan. 19 edition of Grub Guide. She gets a […]
- Free Will 'Cos years have passed and things have changed And I move any way I wanna go I'll never forget the feeling I got When I heard that you'd got home And, I'll never forget the smile on my face 'Cos I knew where you would be And, if you're in The Crown tonight Have a drink on me But go […]