We can't get enough of Blue Ivy Carter here at Heard Mentality. In honor of her birth, we decided to do a little bit more research to find more fun baby names. After paying tribute to the oddest names in hip-hop and R&B yesterday, today we're going to take at their rock brethren, who named their kids anything but John and Rebecca.
5. Blue Angel Evans: Yet another Blue to start off our latest list. Born in 1989, Blue Angel (outside of our number one selection), was one of the foremothers in the unique baby-naming field. I guess when you're the legendary U2 guitarist The Edge and you drop your birth name of David Evans (bet you didn't know that!), you don't choose lesser names for your daughter.
4. Bandit Lee Way: The daughter of My Chemical Romance lead singer Gerard Way and his wife Lindsey “Lyn-Z” Ballato, bass player for Mindless Self Indulgence, this young lady has quite the interesting name. Usually though, when I associate the term bandit, it's usually with a male outlaw from the Old West, like Billy The Kid or even Buford “Mad Dog” Tannen. If young Bandit is going to live up to her name, then she's going to have to rob a few banks, or even a train to get some street cred.
3. Zuma Nesta Rock Rossdale: The son of Gwen Stefani and Gavin Rossdale has a slightly less regal name than his brother Kingston. While the No Doubt and Bush singers have never publicly revealed their reasoning for naming child number two, one can only infer that it may have a little something do with California (Zuma Beach in Malibu?), Bob Marley (middle name: Nesta) and Rock (you got me here). Either that or they just liked the name, you decide.
2. Bronx Mowgli Wentz: Fall Out Boy's Pete Wentz and former wife Ashlee Simpson dug deep and searched far and wide to come up with their son's name. After his son was born in November 2008, Wentz justified the name by saying it “comes back to a very specific story between me and my wife.” As for Mowgli? I guess the couple were big fans of The Jungle Book.
And the number one baby name goes to…
1. The Entire Zappa Clan: Wow, where to begin? As legendary and influential on the rock icon was to music, his importance as being the forefather of odd baby names can't be understated enough. His children, Moon Unit, Dweezil, Ahmed Emuukha and Diva Muffin, are now adults and seem pretty normal (judging from a celebrity child standpoint), so quirky musician's name choice probably didn't make them targets of the paparazzi back in the '70s like it would have now. That doesn't mean, though, that Zappa wasn't pressed for his reasoning behind the names. His answer: “because I wanted to.” That my friends, is why he was Frank Zappa, quote machine (although not in this particular instance).