Matt Coker has been engaging, enraging and entertaining readers of newspapers, magazines and websites for decades. He spent the first 13 years of his career in journalism at daily newspapers before “graduating” to OC Weekly in 1995 as the paper’s first calendar editor. He went on to be managing editor, executive editor and is now senior staff writer.
- Where the Surf Meets the Turd True story: Clockwork ventured into the ocean off PCH and Brookhurst a couple of weekends ago, which was surprising considering Billy Carter was First Brother the last time we'd boogie-boarded. After 40 minutes of inching closer and closer to the breaks to get used to the water temp, we and our erect nipples finally dove in, paddled […]
- Thank God for That Tax Cut! As I'm writing this, babies are stuck on overpasses, gone three days without food and water and surrounded by old folks who've died baking in the sun. It took the president three days from the hurricane's touchdown—and a day and a half after the levee was breached and the fetid waters rose—to call a cabinet meeting and […]
- Credit Where Credit is Due As much as many of us hate George W. Bush, it's amazing that hate isn't reciprocated in some way. But it isn't. His detractors say he's the first president since Herbert Hoover to actually lose the nation jobs--and that we'll never get out of Iraq. But Bush loves them--and he'd love to love you, baby, if […]
- Francisco Javier Montano Allegedly Failed to Stop Truck After Girlfriend and Baby Fell Out An arraignment statement indicates Gloria Sanchez, who was holding her 13-month-old daughter, fell out of the Toyota RAV4 her boyfriend was driving on West Edinger Avenue in Santa Ana on Halloween night. However, while Francisco Javier Montano is no longer suspected of having pushed his girlfriend to her death and his daughter into […]
- Thowing Rocks at Cars A 37-year-old transient was arrested after stealing $7 from the tip jar at a donut shop where two cops were on break. Twenty men fought each other in a Del Taco parking lot. A woman called her mother, told her she'd just smoked methamphetamine and was happy. A 43-year-old man threatened to commit suicide by driving a car off an […]
- Mark Eric Hibner, LASO Deputy, Guilty of Assaulting and Threatening to Kill Girlfriend A veteran Los Angeles County sheriff's deputy was convicted Tuesday of assaulting his girlfriend who confronted him in Anaheim on Christmas Day for banging a second woman. Mark Eric Hibner, a 22-year vet of the LASO, could get seven years and four months in prison at his Nov. 15 sentencing after being convicted of two counts of […]