First it was Killer Bees. Then AFRICANIZED killer bees. Then sharks. Then Fire Ants. Then West Nile-infused mosquitos. Then illegal aliens. Actually, you can insert illegal aliens in there a few more times previously. Then locusts. Then frogs falling from the sky. Then jetliners ramming into buildings. Then illegal aliens again. Then Mel Gibson. And now, they're coming to get you: BEDBUGS! Eeeeeekkkk!!!
Matt Coker has been engaging, enraging and entertaining readers of newspapers, magazines and websites for decades. He spent the first 13 years of his career in journalism at daily newspapers before “graduating” to OC Weekly in 1995 as the paper’s first calendar editor. He went on to be managing editor, executive editor and is now senior staff writer.
- Are There Smart Mexicans Migrating to the United States? DEAR MEXICAN: I work for a major news organization and have often heard the figure of 10 million illegal Mexicans. Unofficially, I have been quoted 20 million to 25 million illegals, most of them not Mexican. From experience with the government, I would say these numbers are low. Why the focus on Mexicans? They are far less alien than […]
- Top Five Songs Used In Futurama If you don't have Comedy Central, you're lucky. Sort of. On the one hand, you haven't been bombarded by grinding repetition of commercials featuring the classic Futurama character hypnotoad. The wonky-eyed frog drones incessantly while a voice commands viewers to watch the new episodes that start Thursday night. The […]
- Five Reasons Spraying Pesticides Over OC for Mosquito Control is a Terrible Idea Cases of Zika and West Nile Virus have made headlines around the world over the last several months. And recently, some of those headlines have focused on instances of the mosquito-borne diseases in Southern California: 24 cases of Zika have so far been reported in LA County and 23 in San Diego county. That means Orange County is […]
- The Prayer Witch Project Illustration by Bob Aul Sandi Ciz and a friend got more than they bargained for when they entered what they believed to be a typical haunted house in the parking lot of the Block at Orange on Halloween night. Called "Heaven-n-Hell," the joint featured live actors re-creating a murder, a suicide, slavery, torture, prostitution, a […]
- Alien Ant Farm From their popular “Smooth Criminal” alternative rock cover in 2001 to their newly released their fifth album Always and Forever, Alien Ant Farm has proven that alt-metal rock can be catchy even for the most casual listener. The new album contains songs with heart-racing tempos and the rage factor, yes, but there are also rock ballads […]
- Who's the Real Menace: Mexicans, Muslims or Mosquitoes? [OC Weekly Editorial Cartoon] For our latest Orange Feathers editorial cartoon, artist Leslie Agan took on news that the mosquito that carries the Zika virus has been found in Orange County—you know, the place that has some of the highest rates of West Nile virus (carried by another type of mosquito) in the U.S. Here's Leslie's artist statement: "It's […]