Yes, it's legendary guitar virtuoso David Gilmour's 66th birthday today. After joining Pink Floyd in 1968, he carved out a body of work that has made him one of the most popular and renowned guitarists of all-time. Here are five of his most memorable solos.
5. “Money,” Dark Side of The Moon: The cash registers are rad as are the vocals, but it's Gilmour's guitar solo along with Roger Waters' thumpy basslines that make this song one of the most famous in the Pink Floyd catalog. For the sake of this list, we're going to focus on the guitar part. The build of the song kicks serious ass and if you can't get pumped up listening to the solo that takes up most of the second half of the track, then I don't know what can.
4. “Time,” Dark Side of The Moon: As important as “Speak To Me/Breathe” are to the album, things kick up a notch when we get to the third track on Dark Side. The album gets going on with the intensity of “Time” and is Gilmour's first opportunity to show what he can do. The fury, intensity and angst of the solo showcases guitarist's precision and sets the tone for the thunderous solos on the album.
3. “Dogs,” Animals: This 17-minute track is epic and the album as a whole is one of the most underrated in the Pink Floyd catalog. The body of the song lets Gilmour do his thing pretty much uninterrupted. With multiple tempo changes and a solo that serves as a bridge between his and Waters' vocals, the guitarist's precision is the lynchpin that holds this song together.
2. “Echoes,” Meddle: From lengthy instrumental passages, sound effects, and musical improvisation, this song has it all. Clocking in at over 23 minutes, the composition takes up the entire second side of the vinyl edition and lays the groundwork for the prog-rock future of the band. Gilmour shines throughout, taking listeners on a journey, while showing confidence in his improvisational abilities.
1. “Comfortably Numb,” The Wall: A no-brainer. The defining solo of perhaps the defining song of the band's career, Gilmour lets it rip at the end. Just listen and enjoy the beauty.