A 20-year-old man who was shot by an Anaheim police officer in July pleaded guilty to felony resisting arrest and street terrorism charges and was immediately sentenced to a year in jail and three years probation, while his 18-year-old brother copped to felonies this week as well.
Jose Luis Segura was driving a Honda Civic with his brother Bryan Alexander Segura and 21-year-old Eriberto Lua as passengers when he was pulled over around 1 a.m. July 12 in the 900 block of North Anaheim Boulevard. As the driver was being patted down the officer felt what was believed to be a gun and told his partner, leading to a struggle that resulted in Jose Segura being shot and hospitalized with a non-life-threatening injury.
A handgun was recovered at the scene, and the officer involved in the tussle suffered a minor injury, said Anaheim Police Lt. Bob Dunn, the department spokesman, at the time.
All three men faced charges in Superior Court in Fullerton, where Jose Segura pleaded guilty to felony charges of resisting arrest and street terrorism and Bryan Segura copped to having a concealed loaded gun in a vehicle, a felony, and a sentencing enhancement for gang activity. His sentencing is set for Nov. 21.
Without the guilty pleas, the Seguras were looking at a maximum of seven years in state prison each, the Orange County District Attorney's office (OCDA) previously disclosed.
Lua, who also has a court date in November, faces up to nine years because he was out on bail at the time of the incident, the OCDA previously announced. He is charged with felony carrying a loaded unregistered gun in public, having a loaded gun in a vehicle, street terrorism and sentence-enhancing allegations of gang activity and committing another offense while on bail.