Benito Osorio Identified as Gunman Who Died in Santa Ana Police Shooting

UPDATE, MARCH 12, 8:41 A.M.: The man who died after a police officer-involved shooting in Santa Ana Wednesday afternoon has been identified as Benito Osorio, 39, of Santa Ana.


The Santa Ana Police Department last night revealed more details about the incidents that led to Osorio's demise. Osorio is alleged to have had a dispute with a male over a woman who was not present in the 800 Block of South Cypress, where Osorio fired his weapon but did not strike his target, according to police.

After leaving that scene in his truck that was followed by officers to the 300 block of South Main Street, Osorio is said to have pointed his gun at his head while still seated in the driver's seat, eventually shooting himself, police say.

KCBS obtained cell phone video from a witness (that you can see after the ad–sorry):

A witness told the TV station's reporter Michele Gile that: officers were yelling commands in English and Spanish throughout the standoff, that about 90 seconds passed between the time Osorio shot himself and then got out of the truck holding his handgun, and that he got off the first shot, brought the gun back up, was told to drop the weapon, didn't and was shot.

A silver semi automatic handgun was recovered in the street.

ORIGINAL POST, MARCH 11, 5:45 P.M.: A man died in Santa Ana this afternoon in a police officer-involved shooting.

Or, a man died in Santa Ana this afternoon from a self-inflicted gunshot wound. Police are unsure which at this hour, although they do agree there was initially gunfire in the 800 block of South Cypress Avenue, where someone reported being shot at by someone else in a white Toyota truck.

Officers followed a truck fitting that description to the 300 block of South Main Street, where the vehicle stopped but the male driver refused to get out, according to police.

The suspect apparently shot himself and then exited the truck with the gun, which led to an officer-involved shooting, police said.

The man was taken to Western Medical Center Santa Ana, where he died at 1:24 p.m.

Cops are not sure if he died from his own gunshot or from police gunfire. No officers were harmed, and neither was the person who reported being shot at initially.

Email: mc****@oc******.com. Twitter: @MatthewTCoker. Follow OC Weekly on Twitter @ocweekly or on Facebook!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *