In Newsweek, via the AP, Mischa Barton says she's happy that Marissa Cooper, her character on The O.C., died the way she did.
Matt Coker has been engaging, enraging and entertaining readers of newspapers, magazines and websites for decades. He spent the first 13 years of his career in journalism at daily newspapers before “graduating” to OC Weekly in 1995 as the paper’s first calendar editor. He went on to be managing editor, executive editor and is now senior staff writer.
- The Stitches Photo by James BunoanMike Lohrman used to be an anonymous front-toothless punk who'd get kicked out of every show he went to. Then he started the Stitches. Chris Ziegler's Aug. 22, 2003, story "Throw It All Away" posited the Stitches should have been big but aren't, should have died but didn't, could have given up but […]
- It's Your Money In March, the South Coast Water District (serving the Laguna Beach/Dana Point area) allowed consultant Pascal and Ludwig to boost its fee by $99,514 in public funds after a contract had been signed. Minutes later, district officials allowed D.M. Kisling Construction to increase a deal by $48,500. In February, the officials agreed to […]
- E-male In the Internet-dating dance, the entire arc of a relationship—from instant crush to heartbreaking split—can occur within hours via a flurry of e-mails and IMs. Among the hazards is that you never quite know whom you're communicating with. Among the benefits is that you can diplomatically get out while the getting is good. Dear […]
- It's Your Money In March, Costa Mesa Mayor Allan Mansoor, a sheriff's deputy, got the City Council to approve $127,651 in cost-of-living raises for an unknown number of "confidential" city employees. Send government spending outrages to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- It's Your Money In January, the Yorba Linda Water District decided to spend $8,000,000 in public funds to build itself a fancy new headquarters. Send government spending outrages to email@example.com.
- A Would-be Taco Bell Crime Against Humanity Be very, very glad this isn't available at any Taco Bell in Orange County or elsewhere. Our nation's collective arteries wouldn't survive its widespread distribution. (link via The Awl) ]