Jose El Rey claims to be the king of Hialeah freestyle music (Hialeah is a city near Miami).
His talent is um, evident in his video for “Are You Offended By My Sex?”
Offended doesn't even begin to describe it . . .
- Interpol Turn on the Bright Lights at the El Rey Interpol El Rey 9/28/2017 The summer of 2002 in the rock world was essentially the summer of New York City. The city’s rebirth following 9/11 was channeled in its exploding scene that eventually took over the world. This is chronicled best in Lizzy Goodman’s Meet Me in the Bathroom, the excellent oral history of that era. While many […]
- Lil Wayne Rips Apart Kreayshawn's 'Gucci Gucci' on His New Mixtape When our sister publication LA Weekly reported that Lil Wayne finally dropped his mixtape Sorry 4 the Wait and freestyled over white chick rapper du jour Kreayshawn's Gucci Gucci in a track by "Lil Tunechi," I got a little, well, nervous.Haters may diss Kreayshawn's one-hit wonder of a song as a joke, but in its essence, you […]
- An Open Letter to Kreayshawn: On Your Epic Freestylin' Fail Oh, Kreayshawn. While we're all for defending your odd-looking white chick rapper from the Bay Area schtick (after all, we loooove "Gucci Gucci"), we're afraid that your newfound, as-of-yet unearned fame will possibly kill your career.Not only have we seen too many videos of your sub-par performances where you basically just […]
- Death Cab for Cutie at El Rey Theatre Last Night Death Cab for CutieJune 7, 2011El Rey Theatre, Los AngelesThe line to get into the Death Cab for Cutie show at El Rey Theatre stretched out nearly to the end of the block on Wilshire Boulevard, as those lucky enough to get tickets waited impatiently to get in and those not-so-lucky stood on the sidewalks hoping for a miracle to get […]
- The Pixies – El Rey Theatre – September 9, 2013 The Pixies El Rey Theater 9/9/13 For anyone who was lucky enough to see The Pixies play a last-minute gig Friday night at The Echo, we're jealous of you. Like super jealous. However, the rest of us were introduced to the new Pixies lineup at the first of their four formal area shows (three at the El Rey, one at the […]
- The Shaman of Happiness When gabachos start railing about the evils of Mexicans, the man they have in mind is Ramón Ayala. I mean, look at him! Fat. Mustachioed. Sideburns. A magnificent Mexi-mullet. Wearing a Stetson. Smiling. Ayala plays the circus music otherwise known as conjunto norteño, the Mexican version of polka that sounds much cheesier. Constantly […]