The Register has the poop.
Matt Coker has been engaging, enraging and entertaining readers of newspapers, magazines and websites for decades. He spent the first 13 years of his career in journalism at daily newspapers before “graduating” to OC Weekly in 1995 as the paper’s first calendar editor. He went on to be managing editor, executive editor and is now senior staff writer.
- [Game On] 'Metal Gear Solid 4' Is Part Movie, Part Game, All Failure Idle Hands Metal Gear Solid 4 is part movie, part game, all failure How much of a game has to be interactive for it to actually be a game? I'm not being snide; it's a serious query. If an experience is mostly passive, isn't it just a movie with elements of gameplay, and not vice versa? Or does even the tiniest […]
- LMFAO In a world in which LOL and OMGWTF are solid components of our pop-culture knowledge, we have party-rock DJs SkyBlu and Redfoo to send booze-themed dance tunes over the airwaves and into our brains under the moniker LMFAO (Laugh My Fucking Ass Off). Given that their songs—including “I’m in (Whatever City You’re in), Bitch!”—convey such […]
- Majesty Crush in URB Majesty Crush ca. early 1990s. Photo by Jack Nelson. Cult '90s Detroit shoegazer-rock band Majesty Crush—featuring gregarious OC Weekly freelancer Hobey Echlin on bass and Michael Segal (the OC Weekly music editor's brother [CONFLICT OF INTEREST!]) on guitar—get a belated quarter-hour of fame in respected, LA-based music […]
- The Opening of G Burger At The Irvine Marketplace Imminent (Either Today or Tomorrow) Hey Irvine, are you ready for the burger where you don't tell the counterman what you want on it; you tell him what you don't? G Burger is opening today at the Irvine Marketplace next to Thai Spice. Or if that doesn't work out, definitely tomorrow. ] I tried to get the guy I spoke to at the O.G. La Habra store to […]
- 5 Dishes That are Surprisingly Easy to Make at Home Yes, I know I went on a big stink about what kind of food people shouldn't make at home. That's not because I hate cooking; that was because some dishes are just bad ideas, whether due to difficulty of technique, time commitment or cost. Plenty of things are really easy to make at home, some of which […]
- What Happened to Coachella Predictor Monklish? By: Niyaz Pirani If you're like us, you've been hitting refresh on a handful of websites nearly every day since October in eager anticipation of the slightest rumor leaking out about the Coachella 2014 lineup. That list was finally revealed on Wednesday night on the festival's official Facebook page, and, while we do […]