Behold the beginning of our annual 100 Favorite Dishes countdown! Every day until the publication of our fantabulous Best Of Issue, we'll list our favorite meals this year in descending order. Enjoy, pass it on, and tune in daily!
Will tostilocos–Mexico's revenge on the nacho, an ungodly mestizaje of Tostitos, cueritos, peanuts, onions, and chamoy–ever become as popular as nachos? Never. But that's fine: those of us who love salty-briny-spicy-sweet combos can dig into the slit bags for years to come. And a fine place to get introduced to this dark art is at Tortas y Biónicos "Nice" in SanTana.
The main draw, of course, is those amazing tostilocos. The chewy cueritos wrap themselves around the crunchy chips, which are drenched with the Tapatío and chamoy, and you shovel them into your mouth–it covers every possible sensation your mouth is capable of, leaving it and your fingers messier than the Red Wedding. Finish with a mangonada, yet another Mexican mystery: a slushie filled with mango slices, chile powder, chamoy and salt, then presented with a giant straw coated in a half-inch of chile-powder paste. And you think you knew Mexican food?
92. Milanesa at Delicias Peruanas
93. Super Nachos at Kelly's Korner Tavern
94. Tortas at Sliced and Diced Eatery
95. Seasonal Dumplings at Coconut Rabbit
96. Burrito de Birria de Res from Burritos La Palma
97. Bò Kho at Song Long Restaurant
98. Pancake Sandwich at Willowick Golf Course
99. Tahdig at Tanor Fresh Mediterranean Grill
100. Quatro Formaggi Panini at Old Vine Cafe