Behold the beginning of our 100 Favorite Dishes of 2016 listicle! Every day through the publication of our Best Of 2016 issue (and sometimes, twice a day), we’ll be bringing you our favorite dishes across Orange County, leading up to the best in the land. Enjoy!
Forget everything you thought you knew about pie. L.A.-based mother-and-son pie proprietors Becky Grasley and Matthew Heffner bring their deliciously unique, made-from-scratch-by-hand-daily creations to their Pie Hole in Orange. And while we’re currently suffering a humid, horrible summer, they’re still offering their Spring menu, of which the star is the Mexican chocolate pie.
A pie version of the beloved hot drink, this ain’t your Abuelita Garcia’s Mexican chocolate. A classic buttery graham cracker base lends the right amount of sweetness and crunch to the dense, fudge-like filling. Cinnamon, nutmeg and pasilla peppers are blended together, creating a crystallized texture evocative of a slab of Mexican chocolate. The pie is then topped with a thick dollop of house-made espresso whipped cream, completing the cacao experience. Savory, sweet, and intense, this dessert is unapologetic and full of the rustic flavors that make it worthy of its name. This Mexican chocolate pie is making America great again!
The Pie Hole, 173 N. Glassell St., Orange, (657) 236-4100; www.thepieholela.com/orange-county
92. Biscuits at James Republic
93. Mushroom Flatbread with Kale and Kumquat Salad at Lemonade
94. Mexican-Style Gelatins from Santa Ana’s Gelatina Goddess
95. Hot Pastrami Caesar Salad at Bruxie
96. Jalapeño Pupusas at Las Cazuelas
97. Meatball Sliders at Fresh Brothers
98. Buffalo Cauliflower at Mead’s Green Door Cafe
99. Raindrop Cake at Sunmerry Bakery
100. Doughrito at Surfin’ Donuts