Behold the beginning of our annual 100 Favorite Dishes countdown! Every day until the publication of our fantabulous Best Of Issue, we'll list our favorite meals this year in descending order. Enjoy, pass it on, and tune in daily!
Sausage-and-beer places are springing up all over OC these days. Some of them are even good. What they all have in common, though, is that the sausage is the star and the beer is not. This is happily not the case at Barley Forge, Costa Mesa's first craft brewery, and a rare bird in that there's a full kitchen rather than just a rotating cast of luxe loncheras.
I mean, just look at that picture. It's boiled in the beer they brew on-site, then grilled and served with piquant mustard (also containing beer) and pickled vegetables. The snap on the sausages is insane; try to avoid ordering two, lest your mates at the metal bar judge you for your gluttony. Besides, all you need is a big, soft, hot pretzel and you're good to go.
2957 Randolph Ave, Costa Mesa, (714) 641-2084; barleyforge.com
79. Beef Noodle Soup at Wafting Fragrance (Formerly 3-6-9)
80. Taco de Nopal at Urban Cactus
81. Fried Chicken at Crazy Chi-Mac
82. Mole Tots at Amor y Tacos
83. Khao Soi at S.T. Noodle Bar
84. Chili Cone Queso at Cozy Cone Motel
85. Crispy Smelt at Big Catch Seafood
86. Teriyaki Chicken Plate at California Plate
87. Combo Plate at MasalaCraft
88. Cornbread Waffle N Chicken at Mrs. Bea's
89. Everything at Crispy Town
90. Kurobuta Pork Belly Bánh Mì at Mendocino Farms
91. Tostilocos at Tortas y Biónicos "Nice"
92. Milanesa at Delicias Peruanas
93. Super Nachos at Kelly's Korner Tavern
94. Tortas at Sliced and Diced Eatery
95. Seasonal Dumplings at Coconut Rabbit
96. Burrito de Birria de Res from Burritos La Palma
97. Bò Kho at Song Long Restaurant
98. Pancake Sandwich at Willowick Golf Course
99. Tahdig at Tanor Fresh Mediterranean Grill
100. Quatro Formaggi Panini at Old Vine Cafe