Behold the beginning of our annual 100 Favorite Dishes countdown! Every day until the publication of our fantabulous Best Of Issue, we'll list our favorite meals this year in descending order. Enjoy, pass it on, and tune in daily!
"Shrimp and cheese?" asked my Italian coworker when I suggested Los Corales for lunch. His incredulity aside, the taco gobernador, a specialty of the Mexican states bordering the shrimp-rich Sea of Cortez, is a great thing to order at SanTana's best seafood lonchera, at least when you're not ordering aguachile.
Something about the combination of shrimp and Oaxaca cheese just works together. At Los Corales, they let some of the shredded cheese fall out as they griddle the tacos, which leads to crusty brown bits of toasted queso being pressed into the tortilla. It's as addictive as any hard drug, but cheaper and better for you.
You have to know to order them, because the pictures on the side of the lonchera are so faded it's hard to tell what they are, but they make them by the dozen every day, and on a hot day in the SanTana sun, they're just what el doctor ordered.
Mariscos Los Corales, Pine St. just west of Main St., Santa Ana; 714-713-1770.
73. Dutch Baby at the Original Pancake House
74. Doughnuts from Sidecar
75. Lengua Tacos at La Chonita
76. Oysters from Carlsbad Aquafarm at the Orange Homegrown Farmers Market
77. Lemon Miso Crab Melt at Umami Burger in Laguna Beach
78. Pani Puri from Adya
79. The Pocket at the Pocket Burger
80. Gyro Sandwich from Paul's Place
81. Slice of Heaven at Pie-Not
82. Taquitos at El Toro Bravo
83. Peanut Butter and Jelly Donut at the Donuttery
84. Dan Dan Mian at Wei-Shian Noodle
85. Beef Burger at Rider's Club Café
86. Smoked Trout at Provenance
87. Small Plates at A&J Restaurant
88. Corn Cheese at Zoomak Asian Bistro
89. Pumpkin Curry at Bhan Baitong
90. Poke at Costco Tustin II
91. Pambazo at Tacos Radioactivos
92. Beef Pho at Pho Crystal Noodle House
93. Breakfast Burrito from Cafe Calacas
94. Koobideh Plate from Grill Cafe
95. Tacos de Cecina from Alebrije's
/ching_chinese_express_jajangmyeong.php> 96. Jajangmyeong from Ching Chinese Express
97. Breakfast Sausage from Da-Le Ranch
98. Any Special Dinner by Old Vine Cafe's Mark McDonald
99. Tres Amigos Burrito from Piaggio on Wheels
100. Bacon-Wrapped Dates from Lola Gaspar