Behold the beginning of our annual 100 Favorite Dishes countdown! Every day until the publication of our fantabulous Best Of Issue, we'll list our favorite meals this year in descending order. Enjoy, pass it on, and tune in daily!
I'll be honest: I've never been one for any kind of ice cream float. The soda kinds always end up being too sweet and sticky and gross and the beer kinds are, well, I'd rather just have ice cream and beer, but the ice cream float I had at the Scoops Ice Cream OC grand opening a few weeks ago has turned me around.
Even the version I had, thrown together on the second day of operations, had solved most of the design issues so prevalent in floats. Contra's drinks aren't cloyingly sweet, so the thing's a joy to consume from first firm ice cream bite to the last melty bit. Scoops' flavors are varied and fanciful, so they pair perfectly with Contra's well-crafted teas and coffees. The flavors also rotate daily, so there'll always be something new to try.
The Contra bar's still being finished up, but once it's done and ready and the ratios for the floats are firmed up, there's no reason the Scoops x Contra float can't be the next thing that rules Orange County.
It already rules my heart, that's for sure.
You can check out Scoops Ice Cream OC at The Roost in Santa Ana (605 E Santa Ana Blvd
Santa Ana, CA 92701).
70. Buttermilk Panna Cotta at Lola Gaspar
71. Hummus at Mick's Karma Bar
72. Savory Baked Goat Cheese Bread Pudding at Eat Chow
73. Sicilian Style Pepperoni Pizza at Perry's Pizza N Italian Restaurant
74. Kabocha Honey Nuts at Kabuki
75. Smashed Potatoes at Standing O
76. Dim Sum at Seafood Cove #2
77. Loco Moco at Bread Crumb Ohana Cafe
78. Bratwurst at Barley Forge
79. Beef Noodle Soup at (Wafting Fragrance) Noodle House
80. Taco de Nopal at Urban Cactus
81. Fried Chicken at Crazy Chi-Mac
82. Mole Tots at Amor y Tacos
83. Khao Soi at S.T. Noodle Bar
84. Chili Cone Queso at Cozy Cone Motel
85. Crispy Smelt at Big Catch Seafood
86. Teriyaki Chicken Plate at California Plate
87. Combo Plate at MasalaCraft
88. Cornbread Waffle N Chicken at Mrs. Bea's
89. Everything at Crispy Town
90. Kurobuta Pork Belly Bánh Mì at Mendocino Farms
91. Tostilocos at Tortas y Biónicos "Nice"
92. Milanesa at Delicias Peruanas
93. Super Nachos at Kelly's Korner Tavern
94. Tortas at Sliced and Diced Eatery
95. Seasonal Dumplings at Coconut Rabbit
96. Burrito de Birria de Res from Burritos La Palma
97. Bò Kho at Song Long Restaurant
98. Pancake Sandwich at Willowick Golf Course
99. Tahdig at Tanor Fresh Mediterranean Grill
100. Quatro Formaggi Panini at Old Vine Cafe