Behold the beginning of our annual 100 Favorite Dishes countdown! Every day until the publication of our fantabulous Best Of Issue, we'll list our favorite meals this year in descending order. Enjoy, pass it on, and tune in daily!
There's no better drinking food than the fried potato. There are a lot of things that come close — bread, chips, cheese corn — but when the beers won't stop coming, the only companion you need is the humble spud. It's the best thing to fill you and soak up all the booze, after all. And they're salty, so you'll replenish some electrolytes (maybe?). Then, once you sober up a tiny bit, you can start drinking some more.
No where in Orange County displays this wonderfully symbiotic relationship better than Wursthaus in Downtown Santa Ana. The beer hall serves Belgian and German beers, which are paired best with the haus' Belgian fries.
The fries are thick cut so you get that wonderful little toothsomeness every time to pull away from a bite and fried to a beautiful (but still soft) golden brown and delicious. The fries actually, guess what, kind of taste like potato, and you have your choice of nouveau dipping sauces to choose from (I go with ketchup).
The sausages are fine too, but I can forego them when I visit. I can't ever forego an order of fries, which amount to about two giant potatoes worth of spuds, to go with my sours, especially if it's happy hour. In an ideal world, drinking excursions would just automatically come with endless carbs, but hey, Wursthaus is good enough.
69. Scoops x Contra Ice Cream Float at Scoops Ice Cream Santa Ana
70. Buttermilk Panna Cotta at Lola Gaspar
71. Hummus at Mick's Karma Bar
72. Savory Baked Goat Cheese Bread Pudding at Eat Chow
73. Sicilian Style Pepperoni Pizza at Perry's Pizza N Italian Restaurant
74. Kabocha Honey Nuts at Kabuki
75. Smashed Potatoes at Standing O
76. Dim Sum at Seafood Cove #2
77. Loco Moco at Bread Crumb Ohana Cafe
78. Bratwurst at Barley Forge
79. Beef Noodle Soup at (Wafting Fragrance) Noodle House
80. Taco de Nopal at Urban Cactus
81. Fried Chicken at Crazy Chi-Mac
82. Mole Tots at Amor y Tacos
83. Khao Soi at S.T. Noodle Bar
84. Chili Cone Queso at Cozy Cone Motel
85. Crispy Smelt at Big Catch Seafood
86. Teriyaki Chicken Plate at California Plate
87. Combo Plate at MasalaCraft
88. Cornbread Waffle N Chicken at Mrs. Bea's
89. Everything at Crispy Town
90. Kurobuta Pork Belly Bánh Mì at Mendocino Farms
91. Tostilocos at Tortas y Biónicos "Nice"
92. Milanesa at Delicias Peruanas
93. Super Nachos at Kelly's Korner Tavern
94. Tortas at Sliced and Diced Eatery
95. Seasonal Dumplings at Coconut Rabbit
96. Burrito de Birria de Res from Burritos La Palma
97. Bò Kho at Song Long Restaurant
98. Pancake Sandwich at Willowick Golf Course
99. Tahdig at Tanor Fresh Mediterranean Grill
100. Quatro Formaggi Panini at Old Vine Cafe