Behold the beginning of our annual 100 Favorite Dishes countdown! Every day until the publication of our fantabulous Best Of Issue, we'll list our favorite meals this year in descending order. Enjoy, pass it on, and tune in daily!
The two most important bites of a meal for me are the first and the last. At the very end of eating something, I like to arrange the remaining bits and pieces of the plate into one last perfect bite — a tick I picked up from an ex — so I can have a complete memory of what I was eating. The bite at the very beginning, though, is the one that sets the tone for the eating.
And with that said, the best first bite I've had in a very, very long time goes to the Dulce de Leche Walnut Shrimp Tacos at Dos Chinos.
Everything about that first bite of those tacos are pristine. The tortillas are soft and warm, but made with enough umph that they hold up through the whole meal. The shrimp, plump and drizzled in a sweet dulce de leche sauce, almost pop with each bite. The walnuts have an awesome near crunch, and the onion, cabbage, and cilantro give you the flavor and texture variety that makes what is quite possibly a perfect taco.
They were so good that the day after I had them for dinner, I went back to Dos Chinos for lunch, and as I'm writing this, I have another major craving.
Maybe it's time for another trip..
67. Cajun Seafood Pasta at The Big Catch
68. Belgian Fries at Wursthaus
69. Scoops x Contra Ice Cream Float at Scoops Ice Cream Santa Ana
70. Buttermilk Panna Cotta at Lola Gaspar
71. Hummus at Mick's Karma Bar
72. Savory Baked Goat Cheese Bread Pudding at Eat Chow
73. Sicilian Style Pepperoni Pizza at Perry's Pizza N Italian Restaurant
74. Kabocha Honey Nuts at Kabuki
75. Smashed Potatoes at Standing O
76. Dim Sum at Seafood Cove #2
77. Loco Moco at Bread Crumb Ohana Cafe
78. Bratwurst at Barley Forge
79. Beef Noodle Soup at (Wafting Fragrance) Noodle House
80. Taco de Nopal at Urban Cactus
81. Fried Chicken at Crazy Chi-Mac
82. Mole Tots at Amor y Tacos
83. Khao Soi at S.T. Noodle Bar
84. Chili Cone Queso at Cozy Cone Motel
85. Crispy Smelt at Big Catch Seafood
86. Teriyaki Chicken Plate at California Plate
87. Combo Plate at MasalaCraft
88. Cornbread Waffle N Chicken at Mrs. Bea's
89. Everything at Crispy Town
90. Kurobuta Pork Belly Bánh Mì at Mendocino Farms
91. Tostilocos at Tortas y Biónicos "Nice"
92. Milanesa at Delicias Peruanas
93. Super Nachos at Kelly's Korner Tavern
94. Tortas at Sliced and Diced Eatery
95. Seasonal Dumplings at Coconut Rabbit
96. Burrito de Birria de Res from Burritos La Palma
97. Bò Kho at Song Long Restaurant
98. Pancake Sandwich at Willowick Golf Course
99. Tahdig at Tanor Fresh Mediterranean Grill
100. Quatro Formaggi Panini at Old Vine Cafe